How difficult to rebuild 2 stroke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How difficult to rebuild 2 stroke?

I ask this on another forum and got mixed reviews. I am new to boating but not mechanics. Although I am not a mechanic I do try to take care of any equipment vehicles that I might have. I am thinking the biggest problem would be corrosion.
    Second would be just doing something for the first time.

Reasons would be save a little money
    Independence
    Cool garage project over winter.

Thanks for your input.

My opinion on the subject is outboard motors are high performance machines, probably not the best thing to start out overhauling if you have never done it before or at least helped someone experienced do one.
    You need to make sure you have a very good machine shop that does outboards that you can take the machine work to.
    Defiantly not like overhauling most other old gas motors from the past

Comment

if you can pay attention?
      its usually easier than a tune up.

saltwater corrosion can be an issue.

what size motor are you attempting and WHY?

there is nothing magical inside and it looks about the same now as it did about 1970.

Comment

I'd like to find a 115 or 130 for the boat I have, sea pro 180. The c85 seems underpowered with more than two people. I am also going to look into a different prop to see what improvement I can get.

The why..
        I have always taken things apart and fixed them, I guess I enjoy it.
        Last edited by fuzzymaster; 02-03-2014, 09:27 PM.

Comment

i had eleven M6 bolts and one head bolt M8 broken. u get ready to work with helicoils. drilling out bolts and painstaking job to clear threads took most time.

Comment

happy new year guys iam back

Comment

biggest issue I ever had in rebuilding 2 strokes is finding a machine shop that can bore,hone and PROPERLY chamfer the ports.

other than that your eyeballs and some decent micrometers or calipers and your mostly in business.

Comment

I believe I found a machine shop near me.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dunku...p/325769346181

Comment

Just make sure they are good at outboard motors

Comment

Yea, I'll have to stop over there and talk to them, and get an idea what the cost could be.

Comment

a standard proper rebuild would cost round 3500.00 so be careful inquire first before signing anything as they wont take responsibility once they damage any part they will blame it on corrosion and your bill will keep rising

Comment

on the wall of scorned cylinder always particles of aluminium piston embedded into scoring. before taking block to bore shop, those aluminium has to be washed away by acid or lime dissolving aluminium. if not done, boring machine stones will not work as should, smudging aluminium, and cross pattern will be bad. block has to be completely stripped bare from every single bolt. after bore block has to be washed, thoroughly, air compressor dried.
                        Last edited by amahaork; 02-07-2014, 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                        X