No announcement yet.

key buzzer wont go off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its a 2004 VZ225. I did unplug the overheat sensors on both heads but the alarm kept going off. I unplugged them one at a time but not at the same time if that matters.

Comment

try both at the same time if that does not change it then it is something to do with the wiring .
      maybe you have something hooked up wrong

Comment

Yes, try it with both switches disconnected at the same time. Should not matter but...

And to be clear, you have nothing connected to the motor but the main ten pin electrical harness is that correct?

Comment

Boscoe was there a couple of pig tails with connectors on some motors, that if plugged together will cause the buzzer to be on all of the time.
          or maybe that was 4 strokes

Comment

I have the 10 pin harness running to the control box and ignition switch and no gauges hooked up yet. I just pulled the cowling off again and checked all the grounds and connectors. I disconnected the overheat sensors. I checked the harness where it goes into the battery box and through the cable rigging and didnt find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              Boscoe was there a couple of pig tails with connectors on some motors, that if plugged together will cause the buzzer to be on all of the time.
              or maybe that was 4 strokes
              Yes, that was the situation with certain connectors and certain tachometers.

Comment

Originally posted by twmotox17 View Post
                I have the 10 pin harness running to the control box and ignition switch and no gauges hooked up yet. I just pulled the cowling off again and checked all the grounds and connectors. I disconnected the overheat sensors. I checked the harness where it goes into the battery box and through the cable rigging and didnt find anything.
                Check the voltage at the motor end of the battery cable. Low voltage will sometimes trigger the buzzer to sound.

Comment

The voltage is 13.28. I unplugged both overheat temp sensors today and did a continuity check on them and they are both open so thats not it either. Im running out of ideas lol

Comment

The voltage is 13.28. I unplugged both overheat temp sensors today and did a continuity check on them and they are both open so thats not it either. Im running out of ideas lol
                    Check the themroswitch pink wires at the point where they connect to the thermoswitch to the block? Is there continuity? There should not be any?

There should be a connector laying in the bottom of the engine pan that comes from the trim sender harness. A gray wire will come from that connector and it should be plugged into another gray wire. Are they connected?

Comment

No continuity and the trim switch is connected. I did finally find that if I disconnect the connector that i posted pictures of then the alarm goes off but then it doesnt work at all. Not sure if maybe i have them hooked up incorrectly but i dont see another connector to plug them into. The colors on one side are pink, green and black and on the other side is red/black, green/red, green and pink.

Comment

No continuity and the trim switch is connected. I did finally find that if I disconnect the connector that i posted pictures of then the alarm goes off but then it doesnt work at all. Not sure if maybe i have them hooked up incorrectly but i dont see another connector to plug them into. The colors on one side are pink, green and black and on the other side is red/black, green/red, green and pink.
                        Are you referring to the ivory coloured female connector and the male connectors shown in you latest post? Those connectors are not meant to be connected to each other. Did you connect them or did the motor come that way when you got it?

If there are no gauges installed then those connectors remain unused.

The buzzer does not gets its ground from either one of those connectors.

Comment

I replaced the powerhead and thought that they went together. When i unplug them the buzzer doesnt work at all after that. The wiring chart i had for yamaha had the black/red wire as the Remote oil tank ground return, PBS to tachometer,Low speed charge coil and the green/red wire as the Red oil warning light ground through SW3 in main tank oil sensor to tachometer so I thought it might have something to do with it. Are you saying that something from the gauges connects to them? I thought the gauge harness was hooked into the main harness and ignition switch at the front. Thanks for all of your help so far

Comment

Here is a test of the oil system alarm. Remove the sight sump and drain the oil into a clean container so that the oil can be poured into the boat mounted oil tank. Make sure the boat tank is at least half filled.

Start the motor. The horn should be sounding. Oil should begin to flow from the remote tank to the main tank. When the main tank is about half filled the alarm should stop. The oil should continue to flow to the main tank until the main tank is filled or three minutes time has passed by.

You can also pull the kill switch lanyard and then crank the motor. The buzzer should sound.

Here is a diagram that depicts the two connectors on the motor being connected to a harness that runs up to the gauges. A Yamaha digital tachometer in this case.

Last edited by boscoe99; 04-25-2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I was going to order the tach for it tomorrow. So there is a harness that goes from the tach up front to the engine? I didnt know that

Comment

I called yamaha today and they gave me the part number for the harness that goes from the tach to the engine. It will plug right in to the two connectors that i had mistakenly plugged together so that should fix my problem. It looks like when i would turn the key it was trying to power up the tach and since i had plugged that connector into the oil level warning circuit it would turn the buzzer on immediately. Im guessing this should solve my problem. Thanks again to everyone for the help

Comment

Working...
                                X