Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt and Trim Woes, Please Help

Hi everyone,

I have a 1998 140hp (Australia) V4 2 stroke Yamaha that I have been installing on my boat myself. I made a mistake with the wiring of the battery leads, where I connected the negative battery cable to the bottom of the starter motor and the positive to the starter solenoid, I know, pretty stupid.

Anyhow, at this stage I began trying to turn the motor over, I was getting a grinding sound from the starter solenoid with no starting, however, tilt and trim was working perfectly. Once I discovered what I had done with the battery cables I changed things around to how the manual shows and now the motor is starting and running beautifully. At this stage I tried to tilt the motor and nothing... I tried both switches and all I got was a click from the upper (raise) tilt solenoid, the lower one I was only getting clicking from the remote, the switch on the motor is doing nothing, there is also no response from the tilt motor, I have recently tested the tilt motor and it works fine, thankfully. I replaced all solenoids and am still having the same problem, I also managed to fry the tach in the process and have replaced that which has done nothing.

I am pretty desperate for any help anyone can provide, I have looked on the site for the solution, to no avail, so if anyone has seen this fixed on here before please let me know where to find the thread.

Thanks very much everyone.
    Last edited by Dscott2542; 02-03-2014, 07:31 AM. Reason: Recent development

Is this a 2 or 3 wire lead motor?
    Maybe just a bad ground connection

disconnect the T&T motor leads from relay and test motor on a 12 volt source to see if it will turn in both directions by reversing the polarity.

If it does then you have wire connection or relay problems still.

One switch also has a problem if it will not operate the relay in both directions
    Last edited by 99yam40; 02-03-2014, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Thanks very much for that information 99, firstly the motor is a two wire unit and I tested it with a battery and, thankfully, it is fine in both directions. I did find, however, a little black box on the side of the wiring loom that has three wires going into it, two tilt control wires and one earth, I traced the earth to the front of one of the carbs where it terminates, I disconnected the two tilt wires and tried the switches and got no change in the problem, just clicks on the solenoids, I am guessing this is the problem. Now I am trying to track down what the box is called let alone where to get one, any ideas on the name?

Comment

happy new year iam back in sydney drop me a line
        cheers

Comment

Working...
        X