Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antifouling lower unit paint

SX150TXRY

First, you guys really are a great well of information and knowledge. Thank you for your support.

My engines have sat in the water for about 11 years. When at full tilt, the tips of the lower units sit in the water. They are showing signs of corrosion, electrolysis, generally they are showing deterioration and require attention.

The PO had a solar cell was attached to the batteries (prior to that probably an automotive battery charger at times), copper antifoul paint applied to inhibit marine growth. These "Numpty" mistakes had both the two lower units AND the aluminum Armstrong bracket just pitted and corroded. Armstrong bracket has been replaced. The aluminum engine bracket/swim platform had copper paint also.

So my questions:

1) Can I clean up, use Magnadyne (like ospho for magnesium castings) or Alumadyne (conversion coating for aluminum)? What is the alloy used on our engines? (I think OMC had aluminum/magnesium castings)

2) Should I leave the pitting in the lower unit or can I mix up some epoxy resin and q-cells to fill, fair, polish. Topping with a 2 part epoxy magnesium chromate primer, then finish coat.

3) If I were to desire to have an antifouling coating applied to just the 4 inches of lower unit bullet tips, for having the vessel at dockside for a season, What would be recommended? I Believe the copper ablative paint aggravated the dissimilar metals corrosion that is apparent.

I know of PropSpeed, quite expensive. Looking for recommendations on alternative antifoul coatings approved for aluminum or aluma-magnesium.

Hope everyone is having a great day! Its good hot soup day here...
    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

myself?
    I would bead blast the affected area and if worth salvaging then I would use marine tex or a similar product and fill in the pits then paint then use an antifouling paint made specifically for outdrives and gearcases.
    cannot remember the product I use but its a two part system with a primer and a paint.
    just remember its NOT going to stop and eventually will breech the case.

Comment

Thanks for your input Rodbolt.

Can you advise, is the Yamaha casting aluminum or is it a magnesium alloy similar to OMC?
      If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Working...
      X