2003 f25ELHB bad rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 f25ELHB bad rectifier

What are the risks for replacing the yamaha factory rectifier with a less expensive non-yamaha part such as the "Sports Parts Universal Regulator/Rectifier 01-154-16" available on Amazon at 1/3 the price for the official part.

No known reason that it won't technically work but you are not going to have the appropriate connectors to mate it to the lighting coil and the engine wire harness (unless you cut and splice the ones from the defective Yam R/R) and it will not be of the appropriate configuration for mounting to the motor.

Now keep in mind that the R/R when mounted on an outboard motor does not have the cooling airflow that is available when it is mounted on other types of sports equipment. Note that the Yamaha has some serious cooling fins on it whereas the Amazon part does not. The Yam part obviously has a large heat sink built in. If the Amazon part were to overheat due to insufficient cooling you would be at risk of a fire starting under the cowling. I have seen evidence of such fires and it is not a pretty sight, even if no one gets hurt. It may destroy the value of the motor given all of the damaged parts that ensue if and when a R/R lights up.

Do a search on R/R fires and read about it.

I am a bit of a risk taker but I would never consider doing what you are thinking of doing.

Comment

Response to bad rectifier

Thank you. I knew there was a good reason, and fire tops the list. Thanks again for your insight.

Comment

Working...
      X