Oil Seal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Seal Replacement

I have a 225 HPDI and am losing lube oil from lower unit. I suspect either the prop or drive shaft seals. How difficult is it to replace and what tools are needed? For the prop shaft, do you have to remove the bearing cage? I would really appriciate any help on how to proceed.

First pressure test unit in water, check service manual

Comment

Remove prop, check for fishing line around prop shaft/under prop shaft seal possibly causing leak and/or seal damage....

Comment

Both seals are leaking. I am looking for the best way to replace. The manual seems to say that the bearing cage should be removed for the prop shaft seal. There must be a simpler process.

Comment

Originally posted by amahaork
          how much you going to save by diy? replacement gear case ~1k
          it is possible to remove seal without removing carrier by using screw (yes, wood screw), but most likely 99.9% chance you will damage prop shaft at the place where seal runs. nobody will recommend it to you. how much local shop quoted you for re-seal case? you may do it yourself but must have all tools not to damage gear case. having special tools are the only way.
          Replacement lower unit for a Z250 is $3546

60V-45300-20-8D YAMAHA LOWER UNIT ASSY $3546.50

I agree with you, this is not the type of part for a backyardigan type repair.

Comment

Originally posted by rickboat View Post
            Both seals are leaking. I am looking for the best way to replace. The manual seems to say that the bearing cage should be removed for the prop shaft seal. There must be a simpler process.
            Best way it to get the applicable service manual and the tools specified therein and to do the job according to the book.

Now someone somewhere will have done it in an inappropriate manner. Maybe they got lucky and maybe they did not.

If you are willing to gamble a multi-thousand dollar gear case then get a screw driver and start trying to pry the seals out.

Comment

This video(s) helped me when replaced oil seal on my 30HP

Lower unit seal replacement pt 1 of 3 - upper seal experiments - YouTube

Comment

Working...
              X