Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BAd electrical connector. Parts num request.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAd electrical connector. Parts num request.

I am troubleshooting my fuel management this morning.

I have one of the engines not registering on the flow meter.

I pinned out and found an open contact and upon inspection I see that the fuel flow harness has a bad connection at the flowscan transducer.

Can I order and replace the 3p triangle connector (female)?
    What is the part number?

I really don't want to cut and splice the connections.... like a backyardigan. I love this term.
    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

"If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it...."

Or, "If it flies, floats or f___s, you are better renting than owning."

Good luck finding the connector. They are hard to source. I don't think Yamaha provides them. Might try the link below. That or just get a new Molex connector (M & F) and install new. Is that considered a backyardiganism?

Sealed

Comment

The site that Boscoe posted this is the only place where I found those yamaha connectors.
      That triangle connector is used on other stuff by yamaha like the TPS.

The connector type is "furukawa"

When I was looking for it "lost days" searching for that and other connecters to build my own diagnostic cables

Comment

Nice link Boscoe, I love the source of components like this.

Possibly, the terminals from the TS-090 will work in the existing plug housings. He says that the kits are made to order, so I'll enquire if he will sell just the terminals and rubber seals.

I also was looking for similar terminals so I could fab up some testing leads for the various yamaha plugs. What I envision is several insulated male to female loose jumpers with a test point in the middle. This way I could cob in to a plug without having all of the various factory technician test leads or damaging my connectors by trying to sneak a thin pin into my sealed connectors. 6 loose for a 6 pin, use 4 loose for a 4 pin plug , etc.

Thank you Boscoe.

I am still interested in getting the factory parts if available, so if someone can source them, please advise.

Comment

by the way....

On my fuel sensor and FMM gauge I switched the connectors because the wiring looms were to much expensive here on my country PRT and couldnt wait to find one on ebay.

Works great

Comment

Thanks Almetelo

You guys rock!

So, are the Furukawa connectors exact replacements or are they just similar?

I will want to have some in reserve and like you suggested, I would be interested in fabbing up some test leads if I could find the right connectors.

Thank you again. Obrigado!

I'm surprised that Yamaha doesn't have supplies available, at the very least to the professional techs.
            Last edited by FabricGATOR; 01-14-2014, 11:08 AM. Reason: add portuguese "Thank You"

Comment

Would you believe that Yamaha US will replace a complete wire harness under warranty rather than simply install a new connector? Thus, they have no need for connectors.

Does not make sense to me. Must make sense to them.

I would rather not have my motor disturbed any more than is necessary. A lot of work can go into replacing a wire harness on late model motors with the possibility it won't come out exactly as it went in.

But I come from the aviation world where we cut and splice all of the time.

Comment

Harness repacement

I agree, it doesn't make sense.... except, I can imagine that if they had a corroded connection due to water intrusion fault, replacing the terminals may invite a repeat condition.

Now for us, trying to keep em flying, and keeping it affordable while trying to maintain reliability, I would try to replace the connector with the correct replacement.

I had a Metroliner in the hanger onetime with a ghost of an EGT fault that the fairchild folks out in Texas couldn't find. What I found was that someone spiced a connection, but did not use silver solder. Viola! Fault corrected by the backyardigan!

Comment

Originally posted by FabricGATOR View Post
                  a ghost of an EGT fault that the fairchild folks out in Texas couldn't find. What I found was that someone spiced a connection, but did not use silver solder. Viola! Fault corrected by the backyardigan!
                  I take it the EGT is exhaust gas temp and the splice got hot enough to melt the regular solder

Comment

Garrett Turboprop

Actually, that turbine exhaust gas temp probe utilizes some bimetal leads that have to be silver soldered in order to operate properly.

I'd be pulling your leg to say that I fully understand that particular system, but I am aware that some of the systems (including some but not all and even on some piston recips) even have special bimetal crimp on connectors and they are different for each of the two legs. Additionally, some do not allow wiring to be reterminated due to length of the conductors.

Heck, I just do what the instructions say when it comes to certificated aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by FabricGATOR View Post
                      Actually, that turbine exhaust gas temp probe utilizes some bimetal leads that have to be silver soldered in order to operate properly.

I'd be pulling your leg to say that I fully understand that particular system, but I am aware that some of the systems (including some but not all and even on some piston recips) even have special bimetal crimp on connectors and they are different for each of the two legs. Additionally, some do not allow wiring to be reterminated due to length of the conductors.

Heck, I just do what the instructions say when it comes to certificated aircraft.
                      Jeez, such a novel concept.

Comment

I hear that.
                        And then hope they do not contain errors like the outboard manuals

Comment

Now the experimental class aircraft, there is a little more lee way. After all, it is an experiment....

Of course there are acceptable practices that you may have to defend someday.

PS, Parts ordered from the Beaver Power. On a slow boat from Japan. Thanks Boscoe99. I was hoping to also find the round two pin connectors for the ballast resistor or the auxiliary charging circuit at the 80amp fuse. Not from the Beave I presume

Comment

Working...
                          X