Oil tank pump issue 2001 HPDI 150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil tank pump issue 2001 HPDI 150

Both oil pumps were not pumping from the main tanks to the motor tanks. I traced corroded wires back to my oil tanks (twin) and replaced with new wiring and connectors. Still having an issue with one pump I connected direct power. I can feel a pulse in the unit, but no pumping. I removed the outer casing and see that the magnets that "were" connected to the inside of the case have dislodged. I can see that they were attached with some type of (I don't know what). Does anyone know what I can re-attach them with? I don't know if, or what epoxy, or if JB Weld is an option. And yes, I do know that I can buy a new oil pump. If there is a fix that can save me $145 I'll try it. Yamaha attached them with something, so I should be able to do the same.
    Insufficient Fund$ II - 26' Paramount, twin Yamaha 150 HPDI's
    Sometimes you eat the bear, Sometimes the bear eats you!

Any high strength epoxy might work. Just make sure that both surfaces where they contact each other are clean. Just a little dab will do. And try to put the magnets back in their precise location, correctly oriented. Might want to mark the magnets before they are removed as an aid to correct reinstallation.

Did you inspect the rotor to make sure that the displaced magnet(s) did not damage it?

Comment

I am not sure what would cause both magnets to turn loose like that.
      Could it have overheated for some reason like running a long time without oil in tank? Of course that should never happen if everything was working properly

Did you tap on the motor with something before pulling it apart maybe?

Nothing like having the problem show back up out in the middle of no where when you least need it to.
      I would do it right
      Last edited by 99yam40; 01-13-2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Did you tap on the motor with something before pulling it apart maybe?

Nothing like having the problem show back up out in the middle of no where when you least need it to.
        I would do it right
        I did tap the motor with a screwdriver, but not nearly hard enough to dislodge the magnets. I only tapped it to see if it would free it up, but the motor was not turning before I tapped it anyway. I agree with doing it right (and buying a new motor) but in an emergency I just fill the motor tank with oil manually. Im going to give the epoxy a shot unless anyone else has a better recommendation.
        Insufficient Fund$ II - 26' Paramount, twin Yamaha 150 HPDI's
        Sometimes you eat the bear, Sometimes the bear eats you!

Comment

Working...
        X