1998 V-Max 150 Impeller removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 V-Max 150 Impeller removal

On the lower unit input shaft is an impeller retaining "gizmo" and I don't know how to get it off. Is it a clip? How is it disengaged?

That's it. That's all I need.
    Thanks
    Dale

Is the gizmo you are talking about perhaps the woodruff key that drives the impeller?

Of the parts shown, what is its item number?

Last edited by boscoe99; 01-12-2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Items 11, 12, 10, & 9.
      Thanks
      Dale

Comment

It is the Drive Shaft Collar, item 11, that is holding everything in place.

Take a flat bladed screw driver and use it as a pry tool to lift up on the collar. A bit on one side, a bit on the other side, then back to the first side, etc. until it comes loose.

Go here to see a tutorial on a water pump impeller change on a Yam F200/F225. Not your motor of course but the principle is the same. See step 14 in particular as it shows the screw driver being used to pry the collar loose. He says plastic but the collar is stainless steel.

Water Pump Replacement

If you think the collar is problematic, wait until you get to the woodruff key. Why in the hell Yamaha stays with that design, except on the V8 F300/F350, is the mystery.

Comment

And you're probably going to have to replace that old collar with a new one...by the time you get it off....

Comment

I usually reinstall the cup to use as a fulcrum.
            but I wont waste much time on it before I simply cut it off.
            and BTW, it DOES NOT retain the impellor.

Comment

Woodruff key is a PIA. I ended up leaving mine on and replacing everything else above it. Anybody know the best way to remove one?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                Woodruff key is a PIA. I ended up leaving mine on and replacing everything else above it. Anybody know the best way to remove one?
                Not saying that it is the best way but some folks will use a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel to cut a slot down the middle of the key. Then pinch the key together and it can usually then be pulled from the key way.

A cold chisel under the side of the key that is the highest will also drive it out.

A chisel can also be modified so that it is just slightly narrower than the key way slot. It will go in the slot and under the key. A few taps/pounds on a hammer and the key should pop out.

Comment

Thanks everyone

Job is completed. The cap holds the plastic sleeve in place as the sleeve is tapered on the inside and the driveshaft is tapered on the outside. The plastic sleeve is held in place by the SS cap which must be removed first.
                  I warmed the drive shaft with and one hit on the key did the trick. This after a battle that I lost. The seals were leaking under the water pump so removal was required. This was all required because a dealer that charged me to replace the seals didn't. The water pump base plate was warn through and I would guess was never ever replaced.
                  Thanks to all for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X