T8 trim tilt motor doesn't run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T8 trim tilt motor doesn't run

I have 2003 T8PXRB that the trim tilt motor has quit working. I have used it very little, however when I'm running my knee bumps the down button, so I have got into the habit of pushing the up button. I'm afraid that I burned up the motor. When pressing the up/down button, all I get is a click on the relay. I have 12 volts through the switch and relay, but don't know where to go from there. Does this sound like I need a new trim motor?
    Tks!
    Ron

Test to see, could be a bad connection or bad relay also.
    Remember both + and - have to make a good connection through relay

Take motor wires off of relay and jump to a good battery
    reverse leads to change direction.
    That will tell you if motor is good

Comment

Tks for your reply. If I have 12 volts through the posts on the terminal located above the relay assembly when the switch is in the up/down position, does that indicate the motor is bad....or do I still have to remove the wires and jump to a battery. I'm having difficulty locating the correct wires that go to the tilt motor.
      Tks!

Comment

follow the wires from the motor to the relay.

Does that motor have just the 2 wires coming out of it?

If so should be a blue and a green wire(larger ones) on the relay

Comment

Yes, it just has the two blue and green wires coming from the motor. I jumped them with no joy...didn't hear anything, nor did it move. I guess that means that I need a new motor. Are they fairly easy to change out? The ones I've been able to price online are all close to $800...does this sound about right?
          Tks for your help!
          Ron

Comment

I had the same problem,turned out that one of the brush springs had corroded and collapsed.found a replacement and all was good

Comment

Working...
            X