Yamaha F200-250 exhaust corrosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F200-250 exhaust corrosion

My wife just bought me a boat for Christmas that came equipped with twin Yamaha 2004 F200's. After doing an extensive engine testimonial search I stumbled across a common problem for these motors. They have an exhaust corrosion problem. Are all F series motors affected or the problem is more isolated to owner abuse? I have also found the kit to repair this problem and was wondering if the kit came complete with all the necessary hardware to successful "update" the problem.

yes its a random issue.
    not all suffered from the stack corrosion.
    no its not an owner neglect thing its a coating issue.
    it actually corrodes from the dry side out so flushing wont prevent it.
    the kits are about 650 each and they contain most everything you need.
    you may need motor mount bolts.
    takes about 8 hours to do it .
    oil is extra.

Comment

Here is the kit you may need:

MAR-EXHKT-04-00 EXH KIT F200-250 04 $634.06

While the power plant is removed you might want to consider installing the crank shaft speedy sleeve and a new oil pump. Or, just the speedy sleeve and a new oil pump seal if you feel the pump is in good condition. The kit does not include these parts, but given that it is a 9 year old motor it might be prudent to install them when the motor is opened up.

I would also remove both thermostats and check the bores into which they reside, for the presence of corrosion.

Comment

and at 203*, they are suffering issues.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSolo
          Contrary opinion from Yamaha for Rodbolt

"I know the water temp will seem higher than you would expect on YDS. There is the reason you don’t see that temp on any gauge, only via YDS or via NMEA2K display if you have one installed. I was told by Yamaha that the water temp sensor is in a “warmer” location on the powerhead as to give the ECM a steadier reading since it uses that temp signal as one of the references for fuel injection timing/duration.

It might be slightly higher than normal, but if you are not setting off a overheat alarm, I wouldn’t worry about." ... JUST WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY...
          CaptSolo - A few comments to what you have quoted. Not sure of the source of this data but it is a bit incorrect.

The engine temperature sensor is not measuring water temperature. It is measuring engine temperature. There are no normal values specified for normal engine temperature. The only specification provided by Yamaha is for excessive engine temperature, with that temperature being 248 degrees F.

The thermo switches monitor water temperature. They are not sensors but are switches. They are only open or closed, depending upon the temperature of the water. Closure is between 183 - 194 degrees F.

The temperature values from a Command Link network are for engine temperature only. The only output that one will see from the CL network with respect to the thermo switches is a warning display when the thermo switch closes due to over temperature of the water.

So, we got thermo switches monitoring water temperature. We got a sensor measuring engine temperature. Engine temperature is not the same as water temperature.

Comment

normal temp at WOT should be in the 180* range on the YDS at WOT.
            above 200 is showing an issue.

YDS is simply a tool. it WONT tell you a sensor failed nor will it tell you a wire harness is bad.
            it will simply relay what the ECU "sees" from a sensor/wiring.

from there its up to someone with a clue to interpet the data.

some years back I had a F250 come in with running issues above 3500 RPM.
            3 other dealerships had looked at it and could not find a problem as there were NO codes.

I found the issue at key on engine off.

baro pressure read 19" Hg.

Comment

Is this the right part kit for my boat LF200TXRA: mar-exhkt-03-00. Also since I have it all apart is there anything you guys suggest me to replace?

Comment

Is that just over 600 for the whole exhaust stack??

I literally have a heart attack when I look at how cheap the parts are in comparison to NZ's.
                Last edited by greasyshaft; 10-25-2014, 12:11 AM.

Comment

yep that's about what it costs.
                  the first couple stack jobs just the parts were close to 3000 dollars.
                  since the kit was introduced its down to about 1600 for the entire job.
                  kit comes with all parts,gaskets and seals for the entire job.
                  all you need is the fasteners.
                  about all you reuse from the original midsection is the outer case and the fasteners.

Comment

Also since my motor is 12 yrs old I will also be replacing the oil pump.

Comment

Working...
                    X