No announcement yet.

HELP - computer showing wrong hours!!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - computer showing wrong hours!!??

Please Yamaha experts have a fix this! I just had my motor serviced. It was due and I am about to list the boat for sale and wanted to be certain all is well. It is a 2002 200HP VMAX HPDI. I have had it regularly serviced, and otherwise the motor has been absolutely flawless. The gauge on dash shows the hours at 484 which I presume is accurate - it has never acted up. I asked the dealer to please write down compression readings for me, and also provide computer printout so I could show to a buyer and let them know I have run the engine well and taken great care of it. The dealer (a very reputable one) called me back to say the work was done, and all is perfect, except the computer is showing total hours as NINE (9). I told them this is impossible. They asked if I ever had the computer replaced. The answer is 100% NO, they must be making a mistake. They tried again today and same reading - various RPM running times only total 9. They tell me they have never seen this before, and they called Yamaha, who asked around, and told them the same thing - no explanation. I am very concerned about this as now I cannot show a buyer that I have cared for this motor. Any ideas what may cause this and how to get an accurate reading?

I have no idea what caused the problem but don't believe there is anything that can be done about it.

Some early HPDI ECU's would indicate more hours than the motor had (by thousands) but that is not the case with yours.

Just tell the potential customer the truth. That is all you can do. At least the error is in your favor.

Maybe Mr. Bolt or some other Yam mechanic has seen/heard of this type of problem. I have not.

Comment

some of the early single driver ECU did stupid things.
      some would not communicate with YDS,some would not clock hours and a few would show 6000-7000 hours when the tach showed 20-40.
      nothing can be done about it .
      its an internal ECU failure that seems to hurt nothing.

Comment

Same thing happened to me several months ago when I took my 2001 200hpdi in for a checkup and the computer read 11 hours. My motor has more like 600 hours on it so rather than erasing my memory of all those good times out on the water in my boat, I just accepted the Yamaha Master Technician's word that, as Rodbolt says, no harm - no foul.

Comment

You have a 12 year old outboard with recreational use. Potential buyers are taking a leap of faith with or without hours and are price driven. I'd try a private sale before trade-in under any circumstance. A sea trial trumps records especially with ethanol in our fuel.

Comment

Well, I guess there is nothing I can do. Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
            X