1996 Salt Water Series Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Salt Water Series Question

So I recently purchased a dusky with a 1996 Salt water series 2 motor the boat had been sitting inside his garage for about 4 years but fired right up compression checked out and I even ran it a couple of times before I had the carbs cleaned and spark plugs changed. My question is this, it DRINKS fuel like water it just doesn’t seem normal could I need to change the fuel Pumps. Any input would help thanks.

here again.
    we need an engine model number.

Comment

Yep a model # would give HP and other info and how much fuel it is using at what RPM may help also

Comment

Alright its a 1996 hope that helps S200TXRU

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright its a 1996 hope that helps S200TXRU

Comment

Your motor has carburetors. Your motor is known to have a drinking problem.

Are you new to boating? Boat with outboard motors are terribly inefficient. I had an 175 EFI Mercury and I could go through most of a hundred gallon tank on a good day. My motor had better fuel burn than yours does.

What is really normal in boating will not seem normal if you are new to the ****. Parts pricing is another sticker shocker if you are not used to buying marine stuff. Only way to make marine parts prices seem good is to own an airplane and buy parts for it. You will then think they give marine parts away.

Comment

Thanks for the input I am new to boating... *** that's pretty crazy with an EFI motor.

Comment

The old rule of thumb for fuel consumption on carbed 2 strokes is about 10% of the horsepower rating at full throttle....so your 200HP should burn about 20 gallons per hour....you could spend a wad of money on a fuel injected 4 stroke and get some better fuel economy but it would take a long time to get a return on your investment in fuel savings....good luck!

Comment

Make sense that's for the input..

Comment

if you really want to lower the fun level on your boat install a fuel flow meter.
                    the 10% rule is typically at OR near the engines rated HP.
                    gets much better at lower speeds.
                    flow meters tend to act as a govener,taking the fun out of blasting about at or near WOT .
                    my F150 will burn about 6GPH at about 3200 RPM making 30 MPH.

smoke it up to 5700 RPM speed increases to 43 MPH and the fuel burn climbs to 15.9 GPH.

I spend a lot of time about 30 MPH.
                    on that dusky,heavy boat anyway, you spend much time above about 4200 and you will go through almost 20 gallons an hour.

Comment

Thanks for that I do have a fuel flo scan on my boat... I am new to boating and didn't always pay attention but now I sure will thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        Yep a model # would give HP and other info and how much fuel it is using at what RPM may help also

So you have the fuel burn info, but just refused to give any of it

Comment

Yes, in fact the FMM Fuel Management Meter acts like a governor and most of the times takes fun away (at least for my wallet and for sure many others) but not always... Have a friend here with a Boston Whaler Ventura 18 with Yamaha 150FETO also made for US/Can on his S/N range as S150TLRU (carbed) and since he have the FMM his "crusing" speed increased for around 3600RPM and speed about 30kts (not completely sure about the values) where he have better fuel consumption KM (Mile) VS Liter (Gallon).
                          Before he have the FMM he used to cruise at 2800RPM and now since have the FMM he noticed is far from be the best fuel consumption.

On my F100 the FMM didn´t show such a nice result.

Anyway my opinion is that the FMM wort every penny

Comment

Working...
                          X