Starter pinion stopper to low.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter pinion stopper to low.

I have a 150 j pro v engine. Just got the boat. Engine is a 1986. Old starter broke from teeth down. I ordered a new one 6e5-81800-12 aftermarket. The new one is shorter distance from stopper to tooth gear. The old one is 13.01my and New is 9.78my. The tooth gear rubs against the flywheel. The old one was a -11 vs the new one -12. Don't know if any difference or not. Also no sure why broke in first place. Motor not locked up and can turn flywheel. Any ideas why the difference in distance .
    thanks
    Last edited by Hwilli1954; 03-23-2018, 09:45 PM.

The pinion gear has to move very freely up and down on it's shaft.....a drop of oil there now and then?...

Comment

The 12 tooth pinion gear is larger around.

Comment

I will take a picture of it installed. The top of the gear rubs against the flywheel. The 11 gear is 13.1 mm from the pinion stop. The 12 gear is 9.7mm from the pinion stop. The gear movement work fine but when not engaged rubs against bottom of flywheel. I measured both distance when starter is removed.. I believe that the 12 gear is what is called for that engine. I will install again and take pictures. Thanks again for the reply

Comment

That engine was not buit for or sold in the states, get all the numbers off the engine and maybe bosco will help.

Comment

Going by that part number the pinion gear should have 9 teath, in the states any way.

Comment

Heading out to my shop now and will check. Thanks

Comment

The pinion gear has 9 teeth. Here is a pic of the difference in distance between the old broken 11 and the new 12. Trying to post pics

Comment

IMG_20180324_162709.jpgIMG_20180324_162709.jpgIMG_20180324_162709.jpgIMG_20180324_162709.jpg

Comment

OK didn't mean so many. But here is pic of 12 installed and it grinds the top when started. It won't go any lower. IMG_20180324_163125.jpg

Comment

I don't know why the 11 broke where it did. Was that way when I got it.

Comment

IMG_20180324_163644.jpg

Comment

Engine serial number is 301885 6J9 L

Comment

Any body have any suggestions to my starter problems.
                            thanks

Comment

Distance between stopper and gear has nothing to do with it grinding while started.
                              the stopper only limits how far up the gear goes not how far down it rests at.
                              being after market, who knows what the problem is

Comment

Working...
                              X