• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha gauges

speed gauge does not work what is the common problem to cause this f100

Clogged Pitot tube.

Comment

where is the pickup can i blow this out with compressed air from the gauge

Comment

I use my gps also but like everything to work properly thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fishforit View Post
          where is the pickup can i blow this out with compressed air from the gauge
          on the leading edge of the lower unit you will find a small hole, it can plug with debris if you hit a log or mud/sand.
          Sometimes salt build up/corrosion.
          Small drill bit twisted just by fingers can help get stuff out sometimes and blowing back from tubing on motor or the lower unit would be best as you can damage the tubing blowing from gauge end if too much pressure is used.

May need to drop lower unit if it does not come out easily

Disconnect at motor and use low pressure to make sure tubing and gauge are OK. A small hand held pressure/Vacuum pump or your mouth would be best

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSolo
            Really can't see any use for the troublesome, inaccurate Yamaha speed gauge that came with my F225s when my GPS gives me more reliable mph.
            But maybe the GPS is not as accurate. In certain situations that is.

It depends upon what kind of speed the operator wants to see.

GPS will give speed through space. Or, between two points on land.

The Pitot tube will provide speed through the water, which is what some boaters prefer. Say when pulling bait through the water.

Comment

As Yam99 notes, there is a small hole in the leading edge of the lower unit. About four, maybe five, inches up from the front of the gear case nose. From the side it may look like a slight scalloped area.

Also as he notes, a 3/32nd drill bit between the thumb and the forefinger can be used to auger debris out of the hole. Then, disconnect the pitot tube line in the engine pan and blow back down the tube to get all of the crap out. Don't forget to reattached the tube in the engine pan.

Comment

Thanks for the info very helpful will try it when I take out of storage in spring

Comment

Working...
                X