Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the weight of the lower unit on my '86 ProV150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the weight of the lower unit on my '86 ProV150?

I have not rebuilt the water pump on this specific engine, but have done a lot of my own mechanical work like rebuild carbs and rest of fuel system, oil pumps, shift cables, etc, so I think I can do this except I'm in my early 70's and not as strong as I used to be. So my question is whether anyone can give me a "ballpark" on the weight of this lower unit? Any tips on how I can secure the unit in place while I remove the water pump bolts and torque back in place? It seems to big/heavy to mount in my 10" vise. One last question, is this going to be a 2 man job to align everything while reattaching the unit.

Wild guess? 50 lbs?

Tips? Take the prop off to save maybe 12 lbs. I used two saw horses and a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood. Cut a slot in the plywood for the lower to rest on the cavitation plate. Cut it just wide enough to slide the unit forward and into the slot. Hope that makes sense. Use a little marine grease on the bolts that are involved. That will help the next time.

Yes. Best to have two people. Especially the first time removing and reinstalling the lower.

My $0.02...

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
      Wild guess? 50 lbs?

Tips? Take the prop off to save maybe 12 lbs. I used two saw horses and a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood. Cut a slot in the plywood for the lower to rest on the cavitation plate. Cut it just wide enough to slide the unit forward and into the slot. Hope that makes sense. Use a little marine grease on the bolts that are involved. That will help the next time.

Yes. Best to have two people. Especially the first time removing and reinstalling the lower.

My $0.02...
      Excellent advice. And if the motor is fully tilted up it tends to be a bit easier IMO.

Comment

Ratchet strap method for putting it back on... Not your particular engine but will give a good idea how to do it yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srGVSl4_n8Q

Comment

Something else....Don't go full force 1/2 inch ratchet or breaker bar crazy trying to remove those lower unit bolts. They will snap. I use a 3/8 inch ratchet to remove/reinstall. Then a torque wrench to make me feel good. I hope your lower has been serviced in the recent past and the job is easy.

Comment

my advice? take it in. unless there is an issue with corroded bolts or the drive shaft is stuck in the crank it takes about 1 1/2 hours to do the water pump on that motor.
            if you do it yourself and it comes apart post a thread on how to remove the pump key BEFORE destroying it with pliers,dykse,vice grips and don't even THINK about drilling it.

Comment

Working...
            X