Help with shift linkage on 2006 Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with shift linkage on 2006 Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke

I replaced water pump impeller with everything going good. I re-installed foot and re-connected shift linkage and here's where the trouble started!
    The motor just does not shift like it supposed to and neutral is hard to find and when it's in neutral it will creep back into forward? HELP!

Go here to find your manual, make sure it is applicable to your engine, model and serial number.
    It will tell you how to correctly hook up your linkage.

https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/se...a-shop-manuals

Comment

Put the motor into reverse as best you can.

Hold the coupling nut to prevent it from turning and barely loosen the jam nut. With the jam nut barely loosened from the coupling nut, run the coupling nut up onto the shift rod threads until the shift rod separates from the shift cam assembly. Remove the lower unit.

Push down on the shift cam assembly to ensure the lower unit into reverse gear. Rotate the propeller counter clock wise if you have to to facilitate the lower unit shifting into reverse. Make sure the shift lever is in the full reverse position.

Reinstall the lower unit taking care not to let the shift cam assembly move out of position. Rotate the coupling nut down so that it is screwed about half way on the shift rod threads and the shift cam assembly threads. Hold the coupling nut while turning the jam nut upwards so that it is tight against the coupling nut.

Job done. It should all work correctly now.

In the future, put the shift handle in reverse gear before removing the lower unit. It will be easier to gain access to the coupling nut and the jam nut.

Last edited by boscoe99; 03-22-2018, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gentrygill View Post
        I replaced water pump impeller with everything going good. I re-installed foot and re-connected shift linkage and here's where the trouble started!
        The motor just does not shift like it supposed to and neutral is hard to find and when it's in neutral it will creep back into forward? HELP!
        What is the exact model and serial number for your engine???

Comment

6l2k s 1019734
          Last edited by gentrygill; 03-22-2018, 06:35 PM.

Comment

6l2k s 1019734
            Do as Boscoe instructed.... the manual has no instructions I could find, just one crappy diagram.

I have the same set up as yours on my 20hp and the instructions Boscoe gave are excellent, should be no trouble.

Comment

Could I have possibly messed up the coupling nut postion if it got turned more than necessary when linkage was being removed?
              I fairly confident that i have connected the rod as Boscoe instructed, but thinking back I may have turned the coupling nut more than necessary when it was already "unscrewed" from the bottom rod. Hope that makes sense.

Comment

If the upper rod was not correctly positioned (down) and the lower rod was not correctly positioned (down) when the coupling nut was installed they will never be in synch.

If the two rods are in the correct position then the coupling nut position will not matter from a shifting standpoint. What might matter is if the coupling nut is not centered and holding both rods by the same numer of threads. Say that it is only capturing a thread or two on the lower rod. Over time the threads could fail and cause the two rods to separate from each other.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out what I am doing wrong? So basically all one as to do is have the shift lever in reverse top rod down and the foot in reverse bottom rod down and then screw the coupling nut down half way on bottom rod and then tighten jam nut?

Comment

yes, you should not have to pull up or down much at all to make them meet so you can thread them

Comment

I'm trying to figure out what I am doing wrong? So basically all one as to do is have the shift lever in reverse top rod down and the foot in reverse bottom rod down and then screw the coupling nut down half way on bottom rod and then tighten jam nut?
                      Yes that is it.

Comment

Hi new to this forum.
                        I have the same issue with a 1999 9.9, i have replaced to water pump, all good, but when trying to put back together the bottom shift lever has come loose, or that is what it feels like, if moves up and down and around freely. how to fix?
                        thanks

Comment

You should start your own thread and state the exact engine model so everyone knows what 9.9 you have. Did you happen to pickup the lower unit by the shift rod?

Comment

Working...
                          X