No announcement yet.

exactly what does "turn over" mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turnover means rotation of the engine's internal bits without the benefit of combustion. Ergo, by use of the starter motor (to crank) or by manual rotation, ie a breaker bar and a socket on the crank bolt or similar.

If you told me that "it won't turn over" my first assumption would be that your nomenclature was suspect and I would have to ask you if the engine would crank, thereby determining if you had adequate batt to power the starter.

To me, turnover is synonymous with crank. Firing is an entirely different scenario.

I like pumpkin, key lime, and coconut custard pies. PEEcan, and puhcahn pies are wonderful as well. Chocolate silk is pretty darn good too. Apple is fine, but cut the sugar, please. Oh yes, blueberry and peach are both top-notch. Cherry is my least favorite.
    Last edited by oldmako69; 03-20-2018, 08:20 PM.

Comment

what about crank up or cranked up/
      to me that means fired up/started

Comment

"Crank up" and "cranked up" mean zero to me. When I hear crank, I think that you are attempting to start the engine, and it won't "start". It might be firing intermittently, or not at all. It's not running.

Comment

I thought crank was some sort of cocaine?

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
            If you told me that "it won't turn over" my first assumption would be that your nomenclature was suspect

and I would have to ask you if the engine would crank,
            that's my experience/prejudice also;

its primarily used by people who have no understanding of what is or isn't happening, so just an unhelpful term

I am completely, and solely, comfortable with "crank".

But I wonder what terminology Charles F. Kettering preferred....

Comment

i have to jump in. Great thread.

If i hear "it won't turn over" then my first thought goes to dead battery or bad starter.

As in, "My first car wouldn't turn over on random occasion. So every so often my friends had to push and I would pop the clutch to get it going."

"It turns over but wont start" is what we used when it would just go "ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh" but never starts.

As in, "It kept turning over but wouldn't start and i couldn't figure out what was wrong! After a tow to the mechanic, it turns out the problem was my gas gauge."

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                I thought crank was some sort of cocaine?
                You would be incorrect Grasshopper. But CLOSE!

From UD -

<< “Crank” is slang for a low purity, crystallized Methamphetamine that is administered in a powder form. Crank, like all other Methamphetamines, is a stimulant that acts on the central nervous system to increase heart rate and alertness of its users. Highs on the drug last between 8 and 24 hours, and often include a violent "crash" period where the user tends to be prone to aggression. The drug received the nickname “crank” because it was often smuggled in the crank cases of vehicles.

Methamphetamine is taken orally or intranasally (snorting the powder), by intravenous injection, and by smoking. A common misconception among users is that some administration methods are safer than others, while in reality all act on the body the same exact way. Methamphetamines damage nerve endings, which cause naturally occurring neurotransmitters—Dopamine and Serotonin—to be ineffective. Because Dopamine and Serotonin are responsible for easing pain (like the pain which comes from drug withdrawal), withdrawal periods are extremely painful because the body does not have its natural pain reliever to administer.

Methamphetamine withdrawal is said to be one of the most painful experiences a human being can endure, and users of the drug should ddn060309NCR57.jpg consider other safer recreational drugs.>>
                Last edited by oldmako69; 03-21-2018, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Most things have now been covered, except the situation when an engine won't "turn over" because it is broken, seized, rusted up, hydraulically locked.....etc.

And I think it is the second half of the terms used that determine the intended meaning. Turn over, crank over ... is the "rotation". Crank up and what ever tend to indicate a greater or more vigorous "rotation" where the engine could actually be running and made to increase RPM's.

The actual terms or words used will always differ around the world, and they vary between "ignorant" and "educated" people. This is because "educated" people tend to have a greater vocabulary, or experience with more things.

Comment

1403-Showcase-Yamaha.jpg934caa4ee721b89eb9cf9d46594b0a5d.jpg ​​​​​​​I have nothing more to add. I don't think.....

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                      1403-Showcase-Yamaha.jpg934caa4ee721b89eb9cf9d46594b0a5d.jpg ​​​​​​​I have nothing more to add. I don't think.....
                      She can come start my boat anytime!!!!!
                      Dennis
                      Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

anyone else notice that gal has one eyebrow different than the other

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          anyone else notice that gal has one eyebrow different than the other
                          What eyebrows?

Comment

I believe the term crank her up has been around since the motors had hand cranks to start them

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

What eyebrows?
                              I was just checking to see what everyone was concentrating on in the pic.
                              there is more than just a boat in there

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I was just checking to see what everyone was concentrating on in the pic.
                                there is more than just a boat in there
                                What boat?

Comment

Working...
                                X