No announcement yet.

Setting Full Retard Timing - S150TXRU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok - so I’m here. I’ve rotated until 22 BTDC - but what am I confirming lines up? I see no other markings

Comment

Found it. Advance was good retard needed adjustment

Comment

Won’t be able to splash until the AM - but after adjusting the timing the idle went from 700 to 1000 - so I backed down the idle screw until she was bouncing between 700 and 800 to start. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

note to Yamaha - tell people to look under the flywheel

Comment

well see there you taught me something today, being I never worked on a motor like that I had no idea you had to look under the flywheel for a mark the manual talks about.
          seems to me the manual should have had a pic or diagram showing something like that

Is the idle better now?
          how far was it off?

Comment

Welp - first off I lined it up using the correct point - if you look at the far right of my second photo you’ll see the marker.

so I set that at 22 BTDC and then pushed the throttle to wide open and looked all over and then finally saw the marks. Advance was pretty much on. So then I moved the throttle back to neutral and then rotated the fly wheel until the arrow was on 7 ATDC (PS - the marks are 2 degrees apart... so it was in between 8 and 6 kudos to Yamaha for using 7 and having markings on even numbers). So then I looked under and it was off by about i would say 1.75-2 turns.

the idle smoothed out like it was a whole different motor.

Next I went to install my replacement MF (multi-function or Mother Effer... either works) speedometer. And somehow even though I unplugged the exact same speedometer from the exact same connectors... the fuel sender connectors seemed to have miraculously disappeared.

i gave up. Today was not my day.

More angry at myself for not zipping the connections as I unplugged it. But I didn’t think a white wire would disappear and A ground connector would also run away. My spark plug gapping tool was also no where to be found so I couldn’t fix the gap on the plugs. But I did get new thermostats installed - and the old ones looked about 6 months old... so we’ll call em spares.

having the marina fill up the tank being that I don’t have a functioning fuel gauge for the time being and will post up how the test run goes tomorrow.
            Last edited by JerEazy2; 03-16-2018, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
              This site is getting more and more politically incorrect.

I was driving down the street a few months back and noticed some message on the back window of the SUV in front of me. I sped up to read it. "Spread the word to end the word!" WTH? Religion?

Gave a web address for more info. So I looked it up and the movement is to ban the word Retard. Or Retarded.

So now you can't say that either.

I wish I had some of these people's time........Go rescue a damn dog or something.
              That word should also be removed from all ignition terminology. I was taught that you always need a bright spark at the spark plug!

Comment

The original political correctness term for retard was intellectually disabled. What a term: to have ones intellectual thingy switched off, as if it can be turned on and off or enabled again.
                It is now more commonly referred to as intellectually challenged as we are told we are all equal and able to do things. I can already feel that that term is causing irritation amongst the politically correct, being intellectual is becoming politically incorrect. But what term will they substitute? We should have a competition for suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by JerEazy2 View Post
                  Ok - so I’m here. I’ve rotated until 22 BTDC - but what am I confirming lines up? I see no other markings
                  Maybe too late, (maybe I'm wrong), but where I circled in RED, is the mark that you would be using in conjunction with the flywheel marks.

(Idle setting sounds like it's done properly.)

Also, from what I understand, full advance should be set at WOT, AT SPEED (on the water)

Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

You are correct towns - and that is where I set it from.

the manual didn’t say to check it at speed. And I believe it would be hard to do considering at speed the flywheel is moving and it would be tough to see that mark under the flywheel.

But for what it may be worth, the advance timing was at spec. It was the idle timing that was if

Comment

the amount of mis-information and plain stupid sheet makes me quit this thread.
                      why cant folks simply use the manual and common sense?
                      it is very simple.
                      the ign timing must follow the throttle angle. must be checked dynamically after a static setting.
                      yes Virginia, it is that simple.
                      or simply pop a piston and piss and moan about a Yamaha manual.
                      Yamaha states on the manual that it is for use by trained techs.
                      or at least folks with common sense.
                      that old distributor that you twisted, yep it did the same thing that the magneto control lever did.
                      only it did it slightly different.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                        it is very simple.
                        the ign timing must follow the throttle angle. must be checked dynamically after a static setting.
                        that old distributor that you twisted, yep it did the same thing that the magneto control lever did.
                        You will be back. You can't help yourself.

Comment

it is very simple.
                          Am I in-correct in posting checking full advance @ WOT underway?

You've posted MANY times checking it that way, hanging out the back of the boat..

Or are you referring to something else?
                          Scott

Comment

I have check advanced timing at idle before with a light,
                            just take linkage loose and move it to there the throttle would normally place it
                            idle RPM picked up some, but not too much while in neutral

Comment

the only way to properly set it up is dynamically at or near the top of its RPM range..
                              other than the timing scale on the flywheel and the pointer there is no other way to properly check ign timing.some engines provided reference marks, this is not one of them.

Comment

the only way to properly set it up is dynamically at or near the top of its RPM range..
                                other than the timing scale on the flywheel and the pointer there is no other way to properly check ign timing.some engines provided reference marks, this is not one of them.
                                So you jump my butt cause this is one of the few that doesn't??? Unbelievable..

Seems your more interested in that than helping the operator.

As of now, I won't participate in any way ON THIS FORUM, which should make you happy.

One less Backyardian to name call.

Yes, it's that simple Virginia...

Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X