outboard rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outboard rectifier

Hi I have just installed a rectifier to my outboard , it is putting out anywhere from 5 to 24 volts dependig on revs . The outlet that sold me this assured me that this is suitable to charge my 12 volt wet cell battery i asked them about regulators -they told me i dont need one --is this correct ---what will this do to my 12 volt sounder etc --will this cook my battery --if so can you recomend type of system to use . rectifier part no 6g1-81970-62 yamaha cv 30 [2005]
    THANKS Paul

I would add the regulator myself. unregulated is only for AC lighting in my opinion.

Comment

With the rectifier connected to the battery, what voltage output are you seeing with a voltmeter connected to the battery terminals? I would have expected the battery to act as a stabilization device and limit the actual output voltage.

If the voltage is much above 16 volts it might exceed the voltage input rating for your 12 volt sounder. Many sounders will accept a wide range of input voltages however.

The current output of the rectifier is so low that I don't suspect it will harm the battery at all.

Having said all of this, it would not hurt to install a regulator

2013-MRP-Catalog

Comment

Thanks guys i will try connecting to battery and [disconect sounder etc] then re test voltage

Comment

Working...
        X