2000 50 hp chirps and shuts off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 50 hp chirps and shuts off

I have a 2000 50 hp 2 stroke Yamaha. It use to run fine but every so often you would hear a chirp and it would bog down and after a while it would run fine, now it has gotten so bad that when you started it it would run for a few seconds,chirp and turn off. Every time it does this noise there is a release of bluish smoke coming from the bottom of the block toward the middle. I was told this could be a leaking gasket by the reed section of the engine. Like I said, this was a small problem before but now I can't keep the engine running any help would be greatly appreciated

the chirp is a lean sneeze caused by fuel/air mix being too lean.
    Carbs or the prime start enrichment system has plugging problems
    or leaking air in where it should not causing it to lean out.

The fuel mix in the crankcase gets burned before it reaches the cylinder,
    when that happens it can rupture fuel pump or other diaphragms or pop gaskets /seals from over pressure of crankcase

Comment

chirp in engine

You the man, changed the part you told me and the engine is running great. Thanks, I thought for sure I was going to have to pull the boat out of the water and do a major job, the part was $154.00 but it took care of the problem. Again thank you very much

Comment

If that part was the prime start heater, did you test it before buying new?
        may have just been trash in passage that got removed when replacing it.

Does not realy matter as it is running OK now, but if someone else is looking for what will fix theirs it is nice to let them know to test as the service manual calls for

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          If that part was the prime start heater, did you test it before buying new?
          may have just been trash in passage that got removed when replacing it.

Does not realy matter as it is running OK now, but if someone else is looking for what will fix theirs it is nice to let them know to test as the service manual calls for
          http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...f-th22677.html

the above thread link you responded in is exactly what i am experiencing .
          what part was replaced . i cannot see that in the answer ?
          fuelpump ?
          thx for the response

Comment

Working...
          X