Rodbolt 17 please help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you read ROdbolt's post about that?

Where did you try restricting the flow at?
    and where did you take the vacuum reading at?

If you are flowing more fuel than the test calls for then you are not going to get a reading like he said you would at 25gph( manual spec my guess)
    Last edited by 99yam40; 01-20-2014, 09:49 PM.

Comment

99yam40....yes I did read Rodbolt17 post....I read the vacum from the OUTLET side of the engine element....did you read the post I wrote, where I explained how I was doing the test....I tried using the vice grips (on the main fuel line coming from the tank) and it did reduce the fuel flow but also increased the restriction. I had asked what he meant by "throttle" the FMM because I was unsure what he meant. I do not have a valve to reduce fuel flow. I guessed the results would not be accurate at 38 gph if he said to "throttle" FMM to 25gph.

Comment

to throttle the fuel flow between the liquid in the tank and your electric pumps inlet you CREATE a restriction.
        the throttle MUST be placed on the OUTLET side of your test pump.
        IF the fuel system vacuum at that point is to high then its time to start moving your pump intake back down the line,primer outlet/inlet.
        water separator outlet and inlet.
        until you find the restriction.

Comment

OK Rodbolt17 I get it know....*** I really let that one go over my head about using vice grips on outlet side of pump (so as not to cause restriction) instead of prior to pump (which was frustrating me because I knew that would cause a restriction). Thank you for pointing out the obvious:....I guess I am sooooo frustrated working on this thing and sooooooo much more ready to resolve the problem, I missed the obvious. I will re do the test and report back....thanks again for your patience.

Comment

patience????
            you outta hear what my wife hears I call you .

with people I sometimes don't have much.
            with machines I can go days and only rename a handful of parts.

but your on the right track now anyway.

use your FMM.
            use your pump to pull from and refill the hull tank.

move the test equipment back down the line fitting by fitting.

and like magic.
            the fault will appear.

time consuming?
            yep.
            at 80-100 bucks an hour it can easily set you back 1000 bucks at a shop.

and we will do the same thing I am typing.

Comment

Patience is reported to be a virtue.

Alas, I am not a virtuous person.

Comment

Ok...I found an air leak in system....trying to isolate it...my question is should the fuel filter element on motor be completely full...or is it not filling because of air in line....thanks

Comment

during normal operation the filter cup will stay about 1/2 full.
                  at idle on the F225 you can watch the level change as the lift pump cycles on and off.
                  below 1200 RPM its 10 seconds on 20 seconds off.

Comment

Ok, here are the results from the days work. I found a couple hose clamps were loose and air was in the fuel line. I changed/tightened the hose clamps and there is very little air in system..I think the little bit of air in the system is from anti-siphon ball...but not sure. I did learn that Tempo/Moeller makes two different anti-siphon valves...one is stamped 15 which opens at 1 and 1/8 inches of vacum (or 27.99 MM of HG).... the other is stamped 30 which opens at 2 and 1/4 inches (or 55.99 MM of HG)....the ones i have are drawing about 2 inches of HG and are not stamped....I am going to order two of the 15s to see if I can get vacum down to 5 inches of HG. Hopefully get to test run the boat in the water this weekend. Hopefully I had made some progress!

Comment

I know I have not found anything obvious to say was DEFINITELY the problem, but I want to thank everyone, especially RODBOLT17....for his patence and expertise...his idea to use external pump was sooooooo amazing and made it so much easier doing all the checks with boat on trailer....thanks again RODBOLT17....hooefully I am on the road to success...LOL

Comment

Rodbolt17....wanted to make sure it was ok to have small bubbles in fuel line coming from anti-siphon....that is normal correct....it seems like the bubbles build up in water/seperator filter and come out about every 10 seconds or so...i put new bracket...new filter...new end plugs and barbs so i know the bracket is good...i put filter on hand tight and then 1/4 turn with wrench

Comment

some bubbles are rather normal.
                          it is the suction side.
                          its also why the engine has a VAPOR SEPERATOR.
                          as long as the system can flow 25+GPH and suction remain less than 6"HG, not mm Hg, then I wont sweat it.

ya simply gotta quit switching between SAE and metric system.
                          use one or the other but use them correctly.

Comment

Thanks rodbolt17....the whole system (anti-siphon,FMM,racor,primer ball and engine filter element) is right at 6 inches of hg...the confusion I had was that when researching anti-siphon valves they measure vacum in MM of hg, I do not like metric either. The anti-siphon valve I have is not marked, so I am replacing it with one marked. I spoke to Tempo Manufacturer and they told me that the anti-siphon valve they make is stamped "15" which breaks at 1 and 1/8 inches (27.99 MM of HG) and the other one they make is stamped "30" which breaks at 2 and 1/4 inches (57.99 MM of hg).

Comment

the big question is what does the ones you have break at?

Comment

I agree 99yam40, and not quite sure how to determine it...closest guess I have it right at 2 so I am guessing I have the "30"....I am going to replace with "15" so I can be at 5 inches of HG instead of 6 inches of HG. I am going to isolate each part again this weekend to see if I have too much restriction....my daughter was writing the vacum numbers for me (at the end of the day when it was getting dark) and wrote down NO DIFFERENCE in vacum with or without the water seperator filter. If anti-siphon is 2, FMM is 1, Racor is 1, primer is 1 and enfine filter element is .5 to 1 I should be at 6. If I cab get an anti-siphon that breaks at 1 1/8, I would prefer that, eventhough it is only one inch difference. The guy at WORST Marine argued with me and told me I was "spinning my wheels" because one inch will not make a difference. He told me he had never heard of any difference in vacum ratings. I told him I had spoken directly to Moeller/Tempo and that is who gave me the information. He then said "well no one has ever brought one back, so these must fine." I explaiend to him if there was difference in one inch of vacum why would they manufacturer it. I explained I am sure it cost alot of money to make a different part for NO DIFFERENCE. He did not have a response.

Comment

Working...
                                X