Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting 2012 Yamaha T60LA tiller handle to remote control: which remote to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting 2012 Yamaha T60LA tiller handle to remote control: which remote to use?

Hi Folks,
    I'm converting a 2012 Yamaha T60LA 4 stroke from a tiller handle control to a remote control. I want to use a left hand side mount control because that will match the boat I am putting it on.
    Does anyone know where and what remote I should order? There is a 9 pin connector at the motor that the tiller handle electric controls plug into.
    Any guidance or help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

For the expense and time to convert this maybe consider changing to a remote motor?....Check around with some boat dealers and see what they might offer......Yamaha parts can be pricey$$$$$

Comment

Robert, he is asking for a remote control,In case you did not read what he wrote.

OP Sorry, but I have no idea about left handed stuff

Comment

Is the control box going to be installed on the left hand side of say a center console or on the left hand side of the boat?

Last edited by boscoe99; 03-10-2018, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Boscoe99, thanks for the reply, it will be mounted as shown in the picture you posted. But when searching online, 703 side mounts i have seen, have 10 pin round electrical connector, my T60LA has a 9 pin square connector. Can the 703's be configured to have 9 pin square connector? The engine is a 2012 ,
          thanks,Rick

Comment

The 703 control box is designed to be used on many different models of Yamaha motors.

In your case the ten pin connector in the 703 harness will mate with the 9 pin round connector on the motor. Your model is fuel injected and does not have a choke. There is one wire in the ten pin harness that simply is not used. That wire is for an electric choke for those models that have one.

Your motor started life as a remote con*****ed model. To which a tiller handle conversion modification was performed. You may be confusing the adapter harness that converts the round connector on the motor to a square connector within the tiller handle. That adapter harness (and the tiller handle) are both removed. The 703 harness ten pin connector will then mate directly with the round 9 pin connector on the motor.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                Robert, he is asking for a remote control,In case you did not read what he wrote.

OP Sorry, but I have no idea about left handed stuff
                Apparently this conversion is a lot easier/simpler/cheaper than I would have thought......wonder how much Yamaha gets for that 703 con*****er?....

Comment

thanks Boscoe99, you are exactly right, i found the tiller adapter and also the 10 pin connector tucked away on the motor itself, thanks so much for your help it solved my problem!.. Now i am looking for a flush mount right hand control . I can use the 703 that you show above, but the current installation has a flush mount and I want to see if i can find a similar Yamaha product..

If you have any advice on that I'd be very grateful

thanks again,

rick

Comment

Robert Graham, I've seen the 703 con*****ers in the price range of $250 - $300 or so. you can get them used on Ebay.. but i dont think that included the throttle and shifter cables ( push throttle cable)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by FMohlmann View Post
                        Robert Graham, I've seen the 703 con*****ers in the price range of $250 - $300 or so. you can get them used on Ebay.. but i dont think that included the throttle and shifter cables ( push throttle cable)
                        That seems quite reasonable for the remote unit.......How about the steering unit, cables, etc., hardware?..........Good luck and please keep us posted with your progress/costs?..

Comment

Working...
                        X