hard steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard steering

Hello all, I have just jumped back into boating. My last boat was a 15' side console with a 40hp 2 stroke. My new boat is a 20' aluminum center console with a Yamaha 115 four stroke. At speed this combination seems excessively hard to turn (idle and *****ing around is not a problem). The problem is more pronounced to the left than to the right, which I guess is common, but it feels like I am about to break the steering wheel when I am trying to navigate. The steering system is the typical single cable setup. I dont recall my other boat being nearly this hard to steer. The boat is new and I will definately have my dealer look at it at the 10 hour service, but I am wondering if this seems normal or if I am over reacting. I did notice that the steering rod is connected to the hole nearest the cowling, as opposed to the hole nearest the boat, on the bracket to which it is to be attached. I dont know if that would matter or not or if it will get easier with a little bit of time. Any information is appreciated.......thanks.

pb,
    With a new boat, the steering should be easy to turn - at any rpm. In addition to resistance in the cable and/or motor, you are experiencing a little torque steering from the torque of the prop. The trim tab just above the prop hub needs to be adjusted a little to the right to take out some more of the torque steering.
    The steering cable needs to be disconnected from the motor to see if the resistance is in the cable or the motor - probably gonna be the cable/steering wheel. Your dealer should take care of this for you since, I assume, you are under warranty.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thank you......when you say move the tab to the right do you mean move the leading edge or the trailing edge??

Comment

Ok, forget that last question. I now see the notches at the trailing edge of the tab showing me exactley where to move the tab. My problem now is I dont see how to loosen the tab to move it. There are no exposed fasteners on it. Ho wis this accomplished?

Comment

Just above the tab you will see a black rectangular plastic piece. Pry it off with a screwdriver and you will see the head of the mounting bolt.

Comment

Got it.........thanks!!

Comment

To any who can advise, I took the boat out on Sunday. I had fixed another problem I was having (loose throttle tension) which allowed me to keep both hands on the wheel. This dramatically improved my manuevering abilities.......go figure! But this time I noticed something at full throttle. The boat would seem to scoot to the left and I would really have to cheat the wheel to the right. I am assuming this is what is considered "torque steer". I have not yet moved the trim tab, but I will. At this point I am thinking I may want to get out of the single cable steering setup. What hydraulic steering system would any of you recommend for this setup? Is it hard to install? Does it run off of an engine drive or is it powered by an electric pump?........thanks again guys.

Comment

If you are having torque steer at speed, all you have to do is turn the trim tab slightly in the direction that the boat is pulling until you neutralize the torque effect. You may feel that you don't need hydraulics.

As far as hydraulic steering goes, It's not that difficult to install if you are handy. The pump is manual and totally independent. It pumps as you turn the wheel. To install it, you have to remove your current steering box and cable. You will have to enlarge the hole that the steering box was in and mount the pump. The wheel mounts to the pump shaft. At the engine you have to mount the hydraulic ram to the steering arm at the base of the motor cowling. After that you install two hoses, fill and bleed the system. It's not difficult but it also is not cheap. For your boat a Teleflex Baystar would do but I've heard some tales of woe about it. I would look into that system. The other choice is a Teleflex Seastar system. One thing for sure is you'll never go back to cable. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you mudrunner!!........again

Comment

pb,
                    My model 2000 Pathfinder came with Teleflex zero-feedback steering. It's purely mechanical.
                    Took some getting use to, but after a couple of fishing trips, I loved it, and still do. Virtually maintenance free, and single cable - though I think for the larger motors (mine is a 115), it is dual cable.
                    I am not familiar with the hydraulic steering, but I hear it is very nice, but also more maintenance involved. Go visit another forum where I am a member, www.maverickboats.com and do a search on "hydraulic steering" - may get some helpful comments there.
                    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                    Ken K

Comment

Working...
                    X