Yamaha Serial number model and year lookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Serial number model and year lookup

I just purchased a boston whaler 18' outrage with two yamaha 85 hp motors and I need to know the year of the engines the tags on transom bracket are faded, but what I could read is top it say Yamaha 85 AED and underneath it is a serial number 688 0 319154. Need help identifying year of engines and model number because I want to replace the tilt trim assemblies. thanks

Where are you located?

This is a US website. The issue is that an 85AED was never offered in the United States. Therefore, it will be unlikely that you will be able to find out much about this model using Yamaha US information.

Having said this, it appears that an 85AED is more or less the equivalent of the US models C85TLRP (1991) through C85TLRU (1996). I say this because I believe that the C85 model uses the 688 prefix for its model identity, the same as your motor does. Look at a number of parts used in the US C85 models. You will see part numbers that begin with the prefix 688.

The US C85 uses a power trim and tilt assembly that is prefixed with 6H1. Do you have your trim and tilt assembly removed? Do you see any markings on it and, if so, is it 6H1?

Here is a link to the illustration for the C85TLRU. Does the PTT assembly shown here look like your assembly?

1996 C85TLRU Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM TILT ASSEMBLY 1 Diagram and Parts

Good luck getting replacement units.

Comment

With that S/N year of manufactured you 85AED it was 2000 (Doesn´t mean year of purchase Ex: my 30DMO bought new in 1995 but manufactured in 1993)

C85TLR S, T and U match with 85AET (EU/Word) production in years of 1994/95/96

Good luck

Comment

and back in the day, 84-85 we actually had some US market motors with the BETO,AETO and other international markings.

Comment

Still got some oddballs today.

See an F and LF350AET1X/U, F300BET1X/U and F and LF250DET1X in the Yamaha parts book.

Comment

Thanks...I realize that this is a European model but it cross references yamaha C85TLRU...I am located in the US Virgin Islands...was difficult to find info but US model C85TLRU seems to match....thanks for the help

Comment

Hi all -- wondering if you can help me figure out when my Yamaha 6hp 2-stroke S-shaft was built. Seller said it was a 2004. Serial number is 011172 (photo attached). Can't find this online. Hoping to buy parts and supplies to tune it up. Thanks.

Comment

Can you take a photo of the data plate from further away please?

Comment

Comment

Sorry folks. Hopefully this one shows up better. Appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

Comment

1987 model year motor.

Here are the parts. https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...-year/1987/6sh

Comment

Thanks, Boscoe99 -- this is interesting because the guy who sold it to me claimed it was a 2004. (Does the fact that we're in Canada affect this at all?) Thanks again!

Comment

People will say anything. Called "puffing". Means nothing.

If I am reading the data plate correctly, I see the engine ID 6H6 S 011172. And the model 6SH.

6H6 is the prefix for a Yamaha 6 HP two stroke. S denotes a short or 15" shaft length. Serial number of 011172 indicates it is a 1987 model year motor. See below.

6SH is also the USA designator for a 1987 model year 6 HP two stroke. See below.

Yamaha USA stopped offering the 6 HP two stroke in 2000. I am unable to ascertain if and when Yamaha Canada stopped offering a 6 HP two stroke model.

Comment

Thank you so much -- this is very helpful (and interesting). If the Serial# is 011172, can you tell me what the highlighted 0010382 is in reference to? (I think I'm missing something). Really appreciate it. New to this whole thing but looking forward to getting into it.

Comment

0010382 is the first serial used in 1987.

0013205 is the first serial used in 1988.

Your serial is after 0010382 but before 0013205. That is telling us that it is a 1987 model year motor.

​​​​​​​Capiche?

Comment

Working...
                              X