Thermo Electric Ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermo Electric Ram

I have now received my second thermo-electric ram (prime starter assembly) - part # 62Y-14380-00 for a 2000 Yamaha 4 stroke 50 hp outboard and performed the Service Manual test of it with a 12 volt battery - no movement of the ram...???!!! This is the second factory-sealed unit I have tested that doesn't pass the test - is there a bad factory batch or am I missing something (black to negative, white/green to positive)...
    Thanks,
    steveD

does it have any resistance when checked with a meter?
    It is just a heater unit so should show resistance

Just exactly how are you checking like manual calls for?

Comment

After applying electrical power how long are you waiting for a reaction? It can take several minutes for the pin to move.

An electric heater within has to warm up. Then that heater warms some wax inside the unit. The wax expands and pushes a pin outward.

Here is probably more than you wanted to know about the device

Comment

Boscoe99 - Thank-you for the information! The Service Manual said nothing about a timeline... I was expecting an immediate activation... just tried it again with constant 12 volt power - it slowly extends +- 1/4 inch in about 12 seconds. Then takes over two minutes to return to the normal position. Thanks again for the "delay" information !

99Yam40 - the Service Manual just states "connect a 12 volt battery to the electro-thermal ram. Check that the plunger pushes out from the holder."

I wish they would have stated "check that the plunger pushes SLOWLY out of the holder..."

Thanks!
        steveD
        Titusville, Fla

Comment

Primestart operates a lot like the thermostat on a car, but on a car it's mostly closed and it's opened by the heat from the engine....whereas the Primestart is mostly open and the heat to close it is provided by the 12 volts from the motor....that way it's always ready to crank your cold motor....both systems use the expansion of a wax pellet to do the work....Primestart is a totally automatic, slick and mostly trouble free unit!...

Comment

Most of the books I have seen them listed in you can expect an ohm reading between the blue and black wires of 2.3 to 3.4 @ 68 F or 20 C. Hope this helps!

Comment

[QUOTE=stunn1971;87493

I wish they would have stated "check that the plunger pushes SLOWLY out of the holder..."

Thanks!
              steveD
              Titusville, Fla[/QUOTE]

I looked at an F50TLRA service manual from Yamaha. It says first check and measure the length of the plunger. Then, apply power. Then, to check the length of the plunger after power has been applied for five minutes. It provides a minimum length for the extension and says to replace the device if the specified length is not achieved.
              Last edited by boscoe99; 11-17-2013, 10:15 PM.

Comment

most folks cant read, the rest have no comprehension.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  most folks cant read, the rest have no comprehension.
                  Hey, I resemble that remark!

Comment

And there is no indication of what kind of manual he was reading, so who knows for sure what was printed in it

Comment

Working...
                    X