Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM fluctuation at low speed - twin F150

Good Morning,
    Last week, I was out cruising the ICW as I haven't been out in a month or so due to weather, work, etc. On my way back to the ramp I noticed my port motor (I have twin Yamaha 2012 F150 4 strokes with approx. 590 hrs.) rpm's started to fluctuate without any movement of the throttle. The rpm's were at 1300 then dropped to btw 1000-1100, then down to 700-800 to then back up to 1300. I started to get worried so I gave the engine gas/throttle and it held fine at 1500 and 1700 rpms. This happened a few times on the way back until I reached the ramp (but noticed it was only at that current RPM of 1200-1300). At the ramp, when putting the boat on the trailer and just in gear there were no issues. I have asked several friends, other Yamaha owners, etc. and have heard things such as the primer ball, fuel water separator or the TPS. I haven't had a chance to look into yet but will soon. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this issue and/or has any idea to what it may be.

take off your fuel water separators, dump them out (pour the gas into your truck or lawnmower) refill them with clean gas and a splash of seafoam or ring-free, put them back on (better yet replace them - and fill the new ones with clean gas they aren't expensive). If that solves the problem then you may have some watery fuel.

If it doesn't, we can dive deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by JerEazy2 View Post
      take off your fuel water separators, dump them out (pour the gas into your truck or lawnmower) refill them with clean gas and a splash of seafoam or ring-free, put them back on (better yet replace them - and fill the new ones with clean gas they aren't expensive). If that solves the problem then you may have some watery fuel.

If it doesn't, we can dive deeper.
      I will give that a try - appreciated the response.

Comment

You should have an engine fuel / water separator under the hood. It faces forward. Yank the hood inspect (and or dump)..

The clear cup (more yellowish):

That red ring, if there's water inside, will float.

I believe your newer engine has a sensor (and wires) in that cup that detects water.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-23-2018, 01:26 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          You should have an engine fuel / water separator under the hood. It faces forward. Yank the hood inspect (and or dump)..

The clear cup (more yellowish):

That red ring, if there's water inside, will float.

I believe your newer engine has a sensor (and wires) in that cup that detects water.

Question: would an alarm have gone off? I am going to take a look at this as soon as I get home. thanks for your response

Comment

Originally posted by RobD1220 View Post

Question: would an alarm have gone off?
            when present and working correctly, water in that filter, tripping the water-in-fuel switch, causes the keyswitch warning horn to sound - but only when in neutral.

Comment

Working...
            X