Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuilding Carbs tomorrow - any last words?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you mess with the magneto control stuff?
    if you did why????
    if you did not it will stay the same.
    all those measurements are nice but at the end of the day it has to be checked at 5200 RPM or so.you can hang off the transom or use YB-1626.
    what your concerned about is the oil link rod and the 3 shutter adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      did you mess with the magneto control stuff?
      if you did why????
      if you did not it will stay the same.
      all those measurements are nice but at the end of the day it has to be checked at 5200 RPM or so.you can hang off the transom or use YB-1626.
      what your concerned about is the oil link rod and the 3 shutter adjustments.
      Well there yah go then. And no i haven't messed with them. Checking them at 5200 is hard when last time it was run it only got to 4200 haha.

The way the manual makes it seem is that you cannot do one without the other. Like you need to start with all the magneto control and timing before you do the carbs because if they aren't done right then everything you're doing (idle and adjustments) will be off as well.

i'm going to concentrate on just getting the throttle link right and call it a day from there. Will post results this evening and Tomorrow after the test run.

Comment

Carbs went back on fairly easily - I’ll say that the bottom carb was not fun for my mangled meat hands. Those little nuts didn’t want to start. That and there isn’t really a guide for the intake/carb gasket. I referenced pictures to see how to install.

after installed I synced the carbs and after a few turns of the key she fired up and purred like a 2-stroke kitten. Minimal smoke at idle. Just a puff with a touch to the TBs (no I didn’t rev it.... I just wanted to make sure they worked!)

test run run tomorrow with my fingers crossed. If RPMs still won’t exceed 4200 then the search continues. (Though I doubt it’s a prop issue - I’ve only found 2 props with a lower diameter and pitch than I’m running that fit the 4.75 gear case and I’m winning bidder on the same pitch/diameter in a 3 blade)
        Last edited by JerEazy2; 02-23-2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Good job, Got my fingers crossed for you.

Comment

No dice. Still not getting up there. Forgot my in-line spark tester. But pulled the wires and heard the “click click click” of spark jumping..... looks like Rod may be right. Gotta get a test wheel.

i hate taking my boat to mechanics...

Comment

depends on the mokanik.
              in yourcase having never seen your rig the first thing I would do is install YB-1626 and back it down the ramp.
              have you ever seen this motor turn the correct RPM?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                depends on the mokanik.
                in yourcase having never seen your rig the first thing I would do is install YB-1626 and back it down the ramp.
                have you ever seen this motor turn the correct RPM?
                No sir I have not seen in spin up - the boat goes into high and dry for the summer this week(to avoid the jackasary of the local boat Ramos when the Bros start coming out). I do trust the mechanic there as we have worked together on previous engines. but he is pricey.

compression test this morning showed (first 3 starbd next 3 port)
                110,109,105, 110, 110, 107

it was a quick and sloppy check (cold with throttle plates closed) with The Admiral turning the key.

spark is definitely occurring based on inline test light and that wonderful feeling in my hand when removing a spark plug wire from a running engine. Interesting occurrence though. When pulling the plug wire from the bottom cyls and especially the stbd bottom (6?) the engine almost dies completely. The rest there is a mild stumble.

im going to close this thread and go back to the 4200 rev limit as this probably isn’t a carb issue anymore.
                Last edited by JerEazy2; 02-25-2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X