Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Gauge

Apologies if this subject has already been covered.

Recently I bought an F60 four stroke (2007) outboard with fuel fed from a standard Yamaha 24 litre portable fuel tank.

Problem: I was unaware when purchasing that the fuel level indicator on the tank wasn't visible i.e., couldn't tell through the spy glass if tank was full or empty.
    After inspection I found that the tip of the level indicator on the tank gauge/float was missing and I believed might also explain why the fuel gauge on the dashboard (Yamaha round type) was (blinking) at zero whether or not the tank was full.

Can someone explain if/how the tank float is a transponder for the fuel gauge on the dashboard given that there is not an apparent electrical or sensor connection on the portable tank? Basically I don't understand where/how the dashboard fuel level obtains its information.
    Is this simply a question of replacing the float and everything will be fine or do I have two separate faults here?

Thanks

They are not connected, does the boat not have built in fuel tank, if it does this is what the gauge is connected to, not the portable.. more than likley it is not hooked up at all..

Comment

The fuel quantity indication (bar scale) on a Yamaha multi-function speedometer usually gets its information from an electromechanical device located in the fuel tank. Commonly known as a fuel sender.

A portable Yamaha tank does not normally have a fuel sender installed. No input from the tank to the gauge results in the indication that you are seeing. I bet that there is no wiring coming from the Yamaha tank.

With respect to fuel senders there are different types e.g. float on a stick, float on a rod, capacitance type, ultrasonic type, etc. But none that I know of for a portable tank.

On my small boat I have two small tanks. Neither with a sight gauge. I have to lift the tanks to try and guesstimate how much fuel is remaining.

Comment

boscoe99
        Many thanks for your succinctly put and fast response. Solves a problem..or two.

Comment

Working...
        X