No announcement yet.

Recrutits for the service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are currently seeing new ads for Service recruitment here. They have spruced it up showing having fun, more females and of course the sparkling technology. But nothing suggesting that one requires higher scores to get in.
    But it goes without saying, more and more technology is used and that requires more and more study. But as things become more technical so does the number of specialities increase. That is there is a less likelihood that one will be required to be across everything as perhaps in the past.
    Look there is no doubt that people are becoming much more educated, or atleast have a number of "tests" or grades to pass. This doesn't always relate to how "smart" a person is.
    Entrance exams tend to be more about IQ or attitude examination not necessarily about the job. IQ and standards are not the same things. Many people have papers, qualifications more than ever before. IQ of the community doesn't change as generations change though.
    Last edited by zenoahphobic; 02-22-2018, 09:31 PM. Reason: The spell checker or corrector is out of control!

Comment

used to be the asfab now it is called AFQT,or was when I was in.
      if you did not score a minimum of 70 on the AFQT you simply were not even allowed to apply for FC(A) school. sub duty was a min of 80.
      you don't have to be a genius to maintain,operate and repair the CIWS , you do have to be able to read and rapidly comprehend the electronics and mechanics.
      many many moons ago when the DDG-51 was still bath iron works property an untrained bath worker installed one of the 6 firing bolts in backwards and rotated the gun manually.
      gun is now jammed.
      he came in the control room and informed us.
      we had a shoot scheduled in the am and it is about 10 pm.
      according to nav ordanance this requires a gun tear down.
      takes about 6 hours.
      remember it is about 10*F in bath maine.
      I went out and had a look, my lead petty officer was tweaking.
      he had already notified CS watch officer that mount 22 was down hard.
      I had the bath worker bring me two long thin screwdrivers.
      by stripping my shirt off and placing vasoline on my chest and back I could actually slip between the gun and the yoke.
      toko about 3 hours cause I kept having to go warm up. but as the worker carefully and slowly rotated the gun I could manipulate the bolt until it was back in the battery position and I could extract it and install it correctly. that was my second navy commendation and I got to write up the procedure. I was still an E-4.but I did NOT want to take the gun apart that night.
      wasn't cause I am smart, it was cause it was simply to cold out there for a gun teardown

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        the standards to become an FC in the USN are the same or higher now then they were back in the 80's.when you stack up all the publications save the classified on there are 15 in the stack and it is almost waist high on me.
        by the end of C school not only can you disassemble and reassemble a 20mm Vulcan and the ammo drum but you can trace each signal from switch to finnish and test and repair the search and track radar systems. now the even use infared.
        the only reason I did not go submarine service is they would not promise me a BOOMER.
        did not want to be on a fast attack boat.
        I did pass the test for sub school.
        Why not a fast attack sub? Boomers stay out for months and months.

Comment

on a Boomer you have a set schedule. on a fast attack you may show up for work and the next day the ombudsman calls your spouse or family and simply states they deployed and that is it.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
            used to be the asfab now it is called AFQT,or was when I was in.
            if you did not score a minimum of 70 on the AFQT you simply were not even allowed to apply for FC(A) school. sub duty was a min of 80.
            you don't have to be a genius to maintain,operate and repair the CIWS , you do have to be able to read and rapidly comprehend the electronics and mechanics.
            many many moons ago when the DDG-51 was still bath iron works property an untrained bath worker installed one of the 6 firing bolts in backwards and rotated the gun manually.
            gun is now jammed.
            he came in the control room and informed us.
            we had a shoot scheduled in the am and it is about 10 pm.
            according to nav ordanance this requires a gun tear down.
            takes about 6 hours.
            remember it is about 10*F in bath maine.
            I went out and had a look, my lead petty officer was tweaking.
            he had already notified CS watch officer that mount 22 was down hard.
            I had the bath worker bring me two long thin screwdrivers.
            by stripping my shirt off and placing vasoline on my chest and back I could actually slip between the gun and the yoke.
            toko about 3 hours cause I kept having to go warm up. but as the worker carefully and slowly rotated the gun I could manipulate the bolt until it was back in the battery position and I could extract it and install it correctly. that was my second navy commendation and I got to write up the procedure. I was still an E-4.but I did NOT want to take the gun apart that night.
            wasn't cause I am smart, it was cause it was simply to cold out there for a gun teardown
            some people can find a way to get things done by thinking out side the box when the pressure is on.

I almost got myself stuck inside a transformer once trying to get to some secondary bushing bolts.
            had to exhale and move a little at a time.
            thinking back on it I am not sure how they would have come in and got me out if I could not get out by myself.

Rod did you think about what if you got stuck back then?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              No problem. Let anyone into the service no matter their condition. Once they are out, two years later, they can then start claiming disability benefits for their "service connected" ailments. For the next 50/60/70/80 years. Never having to work again.

If transgender the VA can pay for their reassignment surgery.

Open up the government printing presses and start handing out the moola. To any and all. The whole world. We can do it all.

The deficit and the debt do not matter any longer. Let the good times roll.

In 1960 something a man said "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country". Now it is "ask what your country can do for you, you don't need to do squat for the country".
              Agreed 100% -- the new military coaches its people on how to get the most for their inevitable VA claim......they preach that you should run to the infirmary every time you get sand in your Vagina to pad your medical record. So our military is reduced in part to a bunch of "sick bay commandos" -- I've seen it with my own eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by CatCam View Post

Agreed 100% -- the new military coaches its people on how to get the most for their inevitable VA claim......they preach that you should run to the infirmary every time you get sand in your Vagina to pad your medical record. So our military is reduced in part to a bunch of "sick bay commandos" -- I've seen it with my own eyes.
                Unfortunately you may be correct. I know of a situation here locally where the gov paid for med school for an Army candidate. She stayed in long enough to learn the system. She hated the authoritarian system and concocted a mysterious heart condition. She was not stupid. Worked it out and got FULL disability. She could work rings around many of us to this day. Friend of my wife and I could barely stay in the same room with her. I knew the whole thing was a scam. Tragic....

Comment

Working...
                X