2004 E40XMH won't idle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 E40XMH won't idle.

Hi my name is Hamish Marsters and I live on a remote Island called Palmerston.
    I have this 2004 E40XMH outboard motor and she won't run on idle. She used to run perfectly fine a year ago, but she started to act up about five months ago and I have been using her like that for a while and caused some problems to other parts of the outboard. I have changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel lines and even cleaned the carburettor but she still run's the same: confused: She run's perfectly fine on high speed, no problem there. Any help would be much appreciated. THANKS

Since we can not look up the parts break down of non USA models to see how it is put together, maybe you can give some more info.

does this motor have an electric and manual choke or is it a prime start enrichment system?

Have you checked compression, spark, and timing lately?

Comment

Yes I've checked spark, compression and timing they seem to be fine.
      I have written out some info below maybe it will help.

YAMAHA E40XMHL 2 STROKE OUTBOARD MOTOR.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Engine Type: 2 stroke, in line 2
      Displacement (cc): 703.
      Bore x Stroke (mm): 80 x 70
      Recommended Max. RPM: 4500 - 5500
      Lubrication System: Pre-mix
      Fuel Management: Carb
      Ignition: CDI
      Starter System: Manual Choke
      Operation Method: Tiller Handle
      Trim and Tilt method: Manual
      Max. Fuel Consumption: 20L/hr
      Compression Ratio: 6.0

DIMENSIONS:
      Transom Height (mm): 551
      Dry Weight (kg): 72 - 81.1

Comment

sounds like the carbs need to be cleaned better and then adjusted like service manual calls for.

May need to use a ultrasonic cleaner to get all passages cleaned properly

Did you mess up the lower unit shifting at too high of RPM?

Comment

Ah well that's just great cause I do not have an ultrasonic cleaner, is there any other solution to clean the carburettor..... Did I mess up the lower unit shifting at too high of RPM? No I don't think so. why? do you think it's something to do with the lower unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Enduro97 View Post
            I have been using her like that for a while and caused some problems to other parts of the outboard.
            Just thought that was something that could happen by you using it with the problem you are talking about.
            If it will not idle then you must be shifting it at higher than idle RPMs
            Last edited by 99yam40; 11-12-2013, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Nah that's not a problem anymore at first it was, but then after awhile I could get a couple seconds in idle to shift then speed up, that's after I cleaned the carbs. Could it be that the throttle completely shuts the carburettor so it cant breathe or

Comment

sounds like either the idle circuits/jets are still blocked or a gasket is leaking air.

Comment

Originally posted by Enduro97 View Post
                  Nah that's not a problem anymore at first it was, but then after awhile I could get a couple seconds in idle to shift then speed up, that's after I cleaned the carbs. Could it be that the throttle completely shuts the carburettor so it cant breathe or
                  service manual should give all the proper adjustments and specs.

My C40TLRX had a bad CDI that retarded the timing too far at idle causing problems idling, so make sure timing at idle is correct

I am thinking it only has one carb, so should not need to sync any different throttle plates like the 3 cylinder models .

Did you install new gaskets when putting back together?
                  If not Rodbolt17 probably has the correct answer with the leak if the carb passages are clean

Comment

Oh man nah I did not install new gaskets ok will have to do that, and re-clean out the jets. Any specific way to clean the jets? cause I just use an air compressor to blow them out.

Comment

not just the jets, need to clean out the passages also

Usually soak in a cleaner and then blow out with pressurized carb cleaner in a can and finish up with compressed air

Comment

its the carburetor mate these engines tend to clogs the carbs if stored for a little while as varnish type of substance tens to stick to the inside of the passage way and the jets ,so if you can find some thinner on your island just remove all the rubber grommets and seals first before you immerse the carb fully into the thinner and shake to clean it up ,or else try if you can find a start ya bastard spray and saturate the carb it should work as if the engine works at high speed fine then you would be having minimal clogging in the passage

Comment

I'll give it ago and let you all know how it goes cheers

Comment

Just want to thank all who helped me out with my problem. all seems to be running great now after I re-cleaned the carburettor (jets & passages). I gave her a run and now she is running beautifully on idle no problem, thanks many your help was much appreciated.

Cheers,
                            Hamish Marsters

Comment

Working...
                            X