2007 Yama 150 won't turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Yama 150 won't turn over

I have a 2007-4s-150 and it won't turn over.

I took the batts down to get tested and they were marginal so I replaced. The console lights come on, trim tabs work.

The t/t on the motor doesn't work and when I go to turn the key all seems to die. I've cleaned the grounds.

Any suggestions on what I might do?

bad cables or cable connections would be my guess,
    have you tried testing Voltage drop on positive and negative cables while loaded to see where the problem is?

Electricity is not magic, just need to test things
    Last edited by 99yam40; 11-06-2013, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Good idea, I will try the cables volt drop to see if that's the issue.

Not afraid of any testing just need ideas on what to test

Comment

If you have a master on/off switch (like a red Perko), they, over time, tend to corrode and loose tension on the contacts inside (out of view) as well.

Connecting the new battery directly to the engine (under the cowl) will eliminate the rest of the system (where you issue likly is) and confirm the starter is ok and the issue is somewhere "farther downstream" if the engine cranks as normal.

Please post your findings...

Good luck
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

a simple voltage drop test is faster than splatter gunning.

Comment

There's no doubt the votage will drop when he tests it (putting it under a load)..

What he does next to find the issue is what counts..
            Scott

Comment

This motor was the neighbors, he resolved the issue.

What he found was that there are 2 inline fuses (50A) that were severely corroded. We are in southern Fla. with a high salt environment.

He bypassed the fuses and everything worked. He ordered the fuses but more important has a boat to fish with.

In the end, I think, the volt test or bypass would have lead to the resolution.

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for the update as well...

Just a suggestion, suggest he pick up some di-lectric grease and apply, just a nice light coating, on the fuse, holder, etc to prevent any further corrosion...

Scott

Comment

Working...
                X