Yamaha 701 Control Box Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 701 Control Box Issues

I have a Yamaha F25 ESH that I converted to stick steer and remote control. I used the conversion kit from Yamaha and everything works well with only one exception. When coming off plane, easing back on the throttle, the motor will stall for just a split second then pick right back up. It doesn't appear to actually be dying but acts like the throttle has been closed and immediately reopened. The linkage appears to be right. I got so frustrated with it that I bought a new carburetor a while back thinking that it might be an internal fuel issue. Same thing. I'm starting to believe that this may be related to the control box but cannot find anything that looks suspect to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Stall" in my opinion means to die. I don't think that is what you are experiencing. Correct?

During the conversion from tiller steer there would have been no change made to the carburetor itself. Did the motor ever "stall" before when the throttle was quickly retarded?

I don't suspect that the 701 control box has anything to do with the problem. Assumes of course that the control cable is securely fastened to the control box in the correct manner. Same with the connection on the motor. The carburetor should not know if a tiller handle is con*****ing it or if the 701 box is con*****ing it.

Comment

You are correct that the motor doesn't actually die. It just acts as if I momentarily completely shut the throttle, then opened it again. Just about puts you on your nose. This is not during quick deceleration but during a slow gradual deceleration. Since I made this post I have disassembled the control box, checked the cables, and checked the linkage for the hundredth time. Just don't find anything wrong. The motor feels lean as it is transitioning from the primary jet to the main jet while accelerating. It feels like this is the same problem in reverse, just more noticeable. Thanks again!

Comment

I agree with Boscoe on this one, the engine don't know if it being con*****ed by the tiller or the remote. So to be clear it did NOT do this before you done the conversion?

I would take the cowl off, disconnect the throttle from the remote cable at the engine, have somebody steer the boat and you manually accelerate and decelerate the engine using the throttle linkage on the carb.....see if it still does it. I don't see how it could make a difference, but you never know.

If the problem goes away then it is somehow related to the remote control. If it still does it then it is something with the engine itself. Then on from there.

Please don't fall overboard if you decide to try this..wear your PFD

Comment

Thanks. I was kind of thinking along that line. Somehow I've got to verify if this is carburetor or linkage. I'll update as soon as I can get it on the water.

Comment

Where is the kill switch? The lanyard and the button to stop. I presume this engine in either setup has both or a key? What changes were done in the conversion?
            Any indirect movement upon these, maybe a momentary or intermittent "off", rather than a throttle sticking and sudden release problem.

Comment

Working...
            X