Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 warranty question

Hey guys,
    I'm new to this forum and new to Yamaha. I just bought a new Alumaweld Pacific with twin Yamaha F150's. I saw on line that Yamaha is offering an additional 3 years on top of the factory 3 year warranty. My dealer said he could get me in the program for $225 per engine. I thought this was a no brainer; an extended warranty at this price. But when I spoke with my local authorized Yamaha mechanic, he thought I would be waisting $450 because these engines just don't have problems. Maybe my mechanic has a hidden agenda?
    Would you guys spend the money or are these motors really that good? I had a Merc on my last boat and every season some different sensor would fail. If it was a Merc, it would be a no brainer for sure.
    Thanks for your help.
    Les

I can not say one way or the other on the F150s parts and warranty.

Seems most problems on motors come from bad fuel or no/ not enough maintenance. Not sure if warranty would ever cover that

But If it makes you feel better for 3 more years then go for it.
    Heck it is only $150 a year

I myself never buy the extended warranties on new stuff, but that is just the way I am. I work on my own stuff and roll the dice

Comment

Retail price for the Yamaha Extended Service agreement for an F150 is $1500.00. Except in Florida, you can negotiate for a discount.

I am almost never a believer in extended service contracts. However.

If your dealer can get you a three year YES contract for $225 a motor I would take it. When it comes to goodwill, Yamaha looks a bit more favorably on those that have a YES contract.

If you ever wanted to sell the motor after three years, having a YES contract will be very beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Retail price for the Yamaha Extended Service agreement for an F150 is $1500.00. Except in Florida, you can negotiate for a discount.
        Actually that is not a true statement, In Florida a extended service contract is an insurance policy, it is against the law to discount a insuranse policy in the state of Florida..

but with that said, Yamaha is giving away 3 free years of YES right now.. ask the dealer it is free to the customer.. Why Wait for Spring Fall Sales Event; Get 3 Years of Y.E.S. -> valid from oct 7 to Nov. 29 2013
        Last edited by Sequoiha; 11-04-2013, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoiha View Post
          Actually that is not a true statement, In Florida a extended service contract is an insurance policy, it is against the law to discount a insuranse policy in the state of Florida..

but with that said, Yamaha is giving away 3 free years of YES right now.. ask the dealer it is free to the customer.. Why Wait for Spring Fall Sales Event; Get 3 Years of Y.E.S. -> valid from oct 7 to Nov. 29 2013
          You are absolutly correct of course. I did not want to muddy the waters with differences between a warranty, a contract and an insurance policy.

Most erroneously believe they are getting an "extended" warranty, which they are not.

Let's not get into the issue of a dealer that is not in Florida selling a YES contract, at a discount, to an owner who lives in Florida.

As you may know, a promo contract/Florida insurance policy being provided with a new motor, as a result of a promotion, is up to the dealer. It is not an automatic deal. Some dealers, rightly or wrongly, charge their customers their portion of the contract/policy cost. Sounds like this is the situation with the OP.

Actually, under a promo plan what Yamaha provides to a customer through a dealer is what they call a 36-month Yamaha Limited Warranty. This is done to get around the Florida laws that state an insurance policy can be cancelled with pro-rata money being returned to the customer. Customer did not pay so customer should not expect any money in return.
          Last edited by boscoe99; 11-04-2013, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Y.E.S. isn't from a third party and is sold and backed by Yamaha.
            unlike some extended warrenties.

one balancer failure will pay for both policies.

Comment

[QUOTE=rodbolt17;87104]Y.E.S. isn't from a third party and is sold and backed by Yamaha.
              unlike some extended warrenties.

one balancer failure will pay for both policies.[/QUOTE]

The balancer is definitely a good reason to have the extra three years of coverage.

A third party does underwrite the Y.E.S. contract but it is administered and claims are adjudicated by Yamaha. The customer and the dealer will no interface with the underwriter.

Comment

kinda what I was trying to say about the third party stuff.
                some manufactures sell an extended warrenty but wont administer nor accept claims.
                most those policies suck eggs.

the Yamaha YES actually is decent and works well.

one set of bad drive shaft seals or one balancer failure and you have broken far above even.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts.

I thought the balancer problems were a thing of the past. Is this still a problem with todays motors?

Comment

Originally posted by landnfalloon View Post
                    Thanks for your thoughts.

I thought the balancer problems were a thing of the past. Is this still a problem with todays motors?
                    Only time will tell. Yamaha is now on their 5th design on this part. Did they finally get it to be reliable? Only the future will know.

Yamaha offers a commercial version of the F150 without a balancer. What does that say about their confidence of the part?

The problem isn't just that the balancer can fail. The problem is that it can fail in a manner that will destroy the block and head.

As I said, I don't believe in extended service agreements. In the case of the F150 I would have one. Particularly if it is priced as low as you say your dealer is offering it to you.

You need to act quickly. The dealer is supposed to register the motor in your name once you have the motor. When he registers it he needs to either accept or refuse the promotional extended service agreement.

Comment

Working...
                    X