Power Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Head

have a crankcase seal leak so going to pull powerhead and replace oil pump and wear collar. Havent done this before. Was wondering if oil needs to be drained first? Yamaha f150

Crankshaft!

Comment

why would you not want to drain the oil while it is still sitting on top of the motor?

Comment

The oil does not need to be drained. It will be in the oil pan, well below the base of the block. When the block is removed take care to cover the mid section so the oil does not get contaminated. Which could very well happen when you prepare the mid section for the new base gasket.

Comment

Thanks boscoe99...

Comment

how is an oil pump seal gonna fix a crankcase seal leak? has the oil pump been verified as the leakage point ?

Comment

Its the seal on the crankshaft wear collar. Know problem in F150's.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                The oil does not need to be drained. It will be in the oil pan, well below the base of the block. When the block is removed take care to cover the mid section so the oil does not get contaminated. Which could very well happen when you prepare the mid section for the new base gasket.
                Did not realize that. Thanks for clearing it up.

Comment

it is not a known problem. I have an 07 F150. I have worked for Yamaha dealers since about 1999. I got my Yamaha master tech in march of 06. I have never seen a collar leak.
                  not saying they cannot.
                  but you need to verify that it is leaking.
                  it is simple.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    it is not a known problem. I have an 07 F150. I have worked for Yamaha dealers since about 1999. I got my Yamaha master tech in march of 06. I have never seen a collar leak.
                    not saying they cannot.
                    but you need to verify that it is leaking.
                    it is simple.
                    The heck its not a problem...the seal wears a groove in the collar, which is on the end of the crank. Before they started using the collars in 2008, it would wear a groove in the crankshaft resulting having to install a speedy sleeve. I know of at least three in my area that had the problem. Seems to show up around 1000 hrs. Not all motors experience this problem, but there were enough that Yamaha started installing a replaceable collar.

Comment

I guess it is a question, of how frequent a thing occurs to what is out there when actually call it a problem not just a wear and tear event.
                      if three have been found at thousand hours locally. It may be a local issue relating to what I would call long lasting.

Comment

I would hazard a guess that it is not a wide spread issue in the scheme of things but it is certainly a known issue. Rather than have to replace the crank shaft (expensive and time consuming) if and when the CS oil pump seal area gets damaged Yamaha came up with the Speedy Sleeve solution. They then went on to install in production the equivalent of the Speedy Sleeve. Called a collar in the parts book.

The collar is now standard equipment on most newer four stroke models that use the crank shaft to drive the oil pump.

Comment

I would think maybe Yamaha responded with it being generally a good idea, when scrunized by new buyers , rather than it a deliberate move to stop people thinking it a problem with their engines.
                          It's better marketing strategy to introduce changes with: " look at this now fitted with Yamaha's you beaut Speedy Collar technology." to saying: " look at our new and improved model" that tends to imply there was something wrong with the old model.

Comment

Customers are prone to thinking that any design improvement automatically is saying that the product prior to the redesign is defective. Some then try to make a claim to a manufacturer for the redesigned product.

Which is why many warranties will have a statement similar to the following:

XYZ, LLC. reserves the right to make changes in design and/or improvements to its products without any obligation to include these changes in any products previously Manufactured.

Customers can be difficult. Customers are always right. It is just that some less right than others.

Comment

does anyone realize collars have been used on two stroke smokers since the 80"s? it is not an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X