2003 F90TLRB PTT unit removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 F90TLRB PTT unit removal

Attempting to remove trim unit to facilitate corrosion clean-up and trim motor replacement. The upper shock pin appears to be corroded in place. Tried using a c-clamp to apply pressure after soaking with liquid wrench to no avail. Any thoughts on how to solve this problem?

I presume you have removed the circlip that holds the pin in place.

Remove the lower mounting pin/rod to make sure the upper trim/tilt piston pin does not have a load on it. Then, get a steel punch and a BFH and drive the pin out.

Comment

2003 F90TLRB PTT unit removal

Thanks for the reply boscoe99. Yes, I've done all that you suggest including a punch and a BFH. Unfortunately, the circlip end of the pin is inside the swivel bracket which doesn't allow a direct line to drive the pin out. I tried using a long punch, but the angle was too great to be successful.

Comment

remove the circlip.
        drill and tap the pin, I use 3/8ths x16.
        insert a piece of all thread and a large socket.
        use the socket and a nut as a removal tool with the aid of an oxy/acetylyne wrench.

Comment

Thanks rodbolt, sounds like a good plan. I'll give that a try later on this week when it warms up a little.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
            remove the circlip.
            drill and tap the pin, I use 3/8ths x16.
            insert a piece of all thread and a large socket.
            use the socket and a nut as a removal tool with the aid of an oxy/acetylyne wrench.
            I soaked this assembly for several days with penetrating oil, then followed the above instructions. Worked like a champ and I really appreciate the assistance. For anyone faced with doing this, be prepared with a good drill and tap. The shock pin is very hard steel and will quickly eat up a HD drill bit. Also, the pin is very difficult to tap, but since it's so hard I didn't really need but a few threads to hold the all thread. Thanks again rodbolt17
            Pat

Comment

one would hardly notice I have over 30 years of doing this in the salt pond.

Comment

Working...
              X