1996 yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 yamaha

I have a 1996 Yamaha 85hp mod c85clur has anyone ever tried to replace the top seal on the tilt ram with the eye on it ?

not only have I tried, I have done many.

Comment

Seals are a wear and tear item. So, yes, many seals get replaced.

There are triers and there are doers.

Try it yourself if you want. You will find out if you are a doer or not. If not, find a doer and let him do it.

95% of the problem will be getting the tilt piston cap removed.

Comment

i got the top cap off now i'm tryn to find a new cap , in the parts list yamaha
        does not offer the cap. i might be able to find a cap & seal on another model
        yamaha. hope so

Comment

rodbolt17 where did you find a new cap or seal ? my cap is coroded where the shaft comes through it

Comment

some of the older C85 stuff is the same as some of the 60 and 70 HP.
            on the backside of your trim unit is going to be a number 6h3 or 6h4.
            that's going to identify what the unit is.
            then go look at other parts screens that use the same unit.

some units the cap is not sold seperatly and you have to buy a piston assy.

Comment

Take a look at the illustration for a Yamaha 90TLR. It shows the seal that goes between the tilt piston and the cap. I noticed the C85 illustration did not show it. Same piston. Same cylinder.

2006 and Later 2-stroke 90TLR Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM & TILT ASSY Diagram and Parts

For instance.

Comment

the 60,70 and 90 all use the 6h1 unit.
                if the C85 unit is marked 6h1 it should have a high degree of parts interchange.

Comment

Working...
                X