Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower casing output shaft retaining nut

I have a question for the guru's.

I have seen a few lower units (merc, OMC, etc) cracked at the lower unit thru prop exhaust area. What appears to have happened is that corrosion forms and expands between the output shaft bearing housing retention nut (p/n 6G5-45384-00-00 on my sx150txry) and the lower unit casing. This nut is the hollow 4" round cast nut behind the propeller (actually forward of the prop in situation)

As my engine is 14 years old, would it be good practice to remove and lubricate this nut every few years or should it just be left alone.

If its not broke, don't fix it is my credo. Yet I believe that part of the annual water pump replacement advantage, is that we are removing, cleaning, lubricating the bolts and shaft splines every year. I have experience trying to extract bolts and stuck drive shafts from owners that have neglected the recommended water pump maintenance year after year.

Just trying to be pro active.
    Thanks.
    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Originally posted by FabricGATOR View Post
    I have a question for the guru's.

I have seen a few lower units (merc, OMC, etc) cracked at the lower unit thru prop exhaust area. What appears to have happened is that corrosion forms and expands between the output shaft bearing housing retention nut (p/n 6G5-45384-00-00 on my sx150txry) and the lower unit casing. This nut is the hollow 4" round cast nut behind the propeller (actually forward of the prop in situation)

As my engine is 14 years old, would it be good practice to remove and lubricate this nut every few years or should it just be left alone.

If its not broke, don't fix it is my credo. Yet I believe that part of the annual water pump replacement advantage, is that we are removing, cleaning, lubricating the bolts and shaft splines every year. I have experience trying to extract bolts and stuck drive shafts from owners that have neglected the recommended water pump maintenance year after year.

Just trying to be pro active.
    Thanks.
    It sounds like a great idea, but considering the 14 years of use, I'd just leave it alone....At this point in time you might have to cut it off with a hammer and chisel anyway....maybe let that horse just lay there....

Comment

years ago mercury actually recommended removing the carrier once a year to clean it.
      now most folks simply wait till they break.

Comment

Working...
      X