05 F250 Tilt & Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 F250 Tilt & Trim

Tilt & Trim works fine while at home on the trailer. When I go off shore and need it to work, it will only make a clicking noise. Some time it works, some time it clicks. I hear the Relay click. Any Ideas for a repair? Thanks

use a digital multi-meter.
    check for voltage across the blue and green relay posts when it fails.
    should 12V one way and -12V the other.

Comment

Is this the same one that would kill the engine at any speed when the trim was engaged?

So many threads so little memory...
      If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Yes, I found the ground wire bad that linked my two battery's. The motor does not die now. My next issue is the trim only works some time. Works fine on the trailer at home. After using it a few times in the water it click's but won't go up or down. It seems to work while running higher rpm's.

Comment

sounds like not getting enough voltage/current from charging system at low RPM and must still have bad connections to battery

Comment

I'll keep checking the wires. Does this motor have a separate trim relay that could be bad?

Comment

Trim Relay

As Rodbolt replied, he said to check the voltage at the Blue and Green wires at the relay +12 volts in one direction -12 volts in the other... assuming that you don't change the meter lead position on the wires before you actuate in the other direction.

Look for the thingy that's clicking, that is your relay.

Comment

follow the wires from the T&T motor and they will lead you to the relays

Comment

battery ground link

I would think that just one battery should be plenty to operate your engine. Keep looking for deteriorated connection, wiring or bad battery (s). More than likely, I doubt that repairing the ground link between the batteries (in essence, doubling your battery resource) should be the end of that troubleshooting search.

After doing as Rodbolt said, if you find low voltage, check the battery voltage at the battery leads under the cowl, while you say actuate the trim up/down. Also, how about your voltage there when you crank the starter (remove the lanyard clip to stop it from starting)

Rodbolt recommends that only flooded lead acid batteries be used. Reason being, as I understand, is that the charging regulation system on these motors can deteriorate dry cell, gel, and AGM type batteries. I believe you r Optima Blue Top is one of these. Possibly it just doesn't have the punch it used to.

Try the battery out of the wife's grocery getter (without the others connected)

Comment

Thanks men you have given me some ammo to attack the problem. Still working on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X