Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old style c85 95 analog trim gauge and harness to 2018 F90 do they make and adaptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old style c85 95 analog trim gauge and harness to 2018 F90 do they make and adaptor

I am replacing the old c85 on my hull with a new f90 and want to use my yamaha analog trim gauge if I can. The problem is the trim gauge has a female connector with pink orange and black wires plus a yellow bullet and black and blue bullet. The old harness has a male that plugged into said connector but had a female at the motor. the new motor has a female at the motor so they can not connect. I bought the new style harness when I bought the new motor and it has a female at the guague end same as the connector on the gauge. It needs to be male. is there and adaptor for this so I can use the old harness that is already there? Or is there a adaptor that I can use with the new harness from the motor forward that will connect to the female plug on the old analog trim gauge to the new style female end harness. I looked at the rigging guide and see some harness adaptors but nothing like what I need. Can this old gauge even work with such a new motor? I really dont want to cut the waterproof harness off if I can avoid it. Thanks

Your old C85 used a three wire sender. The F90 uses a two wire sender.

The circa 1995 trim gauge was designed for engines that use a three wire sender.

The pink wire in the F90 engine harness connector is from the sender. Goes to the trim gauge. The pink wire from the gauge.

The orange wire will not be used. Before you do any actual wiring I would connect the motor to the trim gauge using jumper leads. Just to make sure that the pink wire from your two wire sender will work successfully with your four wire gauge (with the orange wire not being used).

Comment

Thanks Boscoe I will make a little jumper lead and try it and if it works I guess I will have to cut into the new harness. Thanks for the info

Comment

Don't cut. Just jumper from the gauge terminals to the engine connector terminals.

What are you doing about a tachometer so that you can get the low oil pressure alert and the over temperature alert?

Comment

I tried not to comment.

Why in the world would you buy a brand new motor and wish to use those ancient gauges? Get some gauges worthy of a 2018 motor.

Now I feel better.

Comment

I am going to use my old analog tach for now. It works fine I will just have to go by the audible alarm until I save enough for a new command link gauge. The boat has been garaged its entire life the gauges are good as new oem yamaha. Dated yes but still perfectly functional. If I want oil warning lights I can put a led indicator on the dash for now and wire it in. But for the moment I am fine with the alarm. Thanks for the info

Comment

No offense intended. These things are expensive.

Comment

They are pricey for sure but yamaha builds such high quality products that they last forever if you take care of them or at least they did. I have an 85 model 115 that still runs and has been abused for most of its life. Yeah it has so much piston and wrist pin slap that it sounds like a coffee can full of marbles but it still pushes my old flat boat just fine. Its a shame that they build them now with a set life span unlike the old two strokes. I cant tell you how many people I know who have had newer four strokes rot through after just 10 to 12 years. Its almost like they build them with that in mind.I have had two rot thorough myself in less then 15 years time. One f115 only took 10 years to rot through the head wear they all do. I guess its not a good business model to build them like my 85 115 lol You cant sell new ones if the old ones still run 33 years after it was built lol Thanks for taking the time to answer my question

Comment

wont work.
                  the two wire sender wont supply the correct pick off voltage to the trim meter.
                  the tach will work.
                  if your current tach has visual indicates they can also be made to work.

Comment

Working...
                  X