2005 F90 TLRD Tilt and Trim Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F90 TLRD Tilt and Trim Motor

My tilt and trim works intermittently. If I Tap the motor with a wrench or hammer it works for a couple of times then sticks again. I understand this is most likely the brushes in the motor aren't always making contact. Can I just replace the brushes as they are about $30 each for the two required? If I pull the tilt and trim motor to work on it, do I have to bleed the system or can I just pull the motor, repair it and replace it? An OEM tilt and trim motor costs over $650, and after market is available for around $220. Same question about bleeding or complications I haven't thought of. If its just a matter of pulling the motor and putting a new one in its place, I'll try to do it myself. If it requires a lot of skill and specialized equipment I'll take it to a certified Yamaha Mechanic. The tilt and trim relay was replaced last year and since just tapping the motor lightly corrects the problem for a couple of cycles it must be the brushes. Any comment, advice or help is greatly appreciated. My next step will be based on replies.

Than you in Advance
    FLCoyote

The entire T&T assembly will come off the engine after tilting the engine up and removing the large shafts(one at the top, one longer at the bottom) and un-plugging it.

Below is a link of the parts for your T&T:

The actual electric motor:
    2005 F90TLRD Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM & TILT ASSY 2 Diagram and Parts

(the pic will be MUCH larger than below) Looking at the parts fisch, swapping the brushes looks fairly easy and may be able to be done while still on the engine....

The pump:
    2005 F90TLRD Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM & TILT ASSY 1 Diagram and Parts

If you key up above on "Purchase Yamaha Parts", you can put in your information and see the breakdown of the assembly...

Re bleeding, its in the owners manual and isn't difficult.

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/owner...owners-manuals
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-08-2014, 08:49 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by FLCoyote View Post
      If I Tap the motor with a wrench or hammer it works for a couple of times then sticks again.
      I had exactely this issue a couple of years ago on my F100and just worked the same way.
      The problem was on spring brushes that were rusty.

Is not hard to do it...

Good luck

Comment

Different Trim Shaft Motor lengths

When researching aftermarket tilt and trim motors the specs keep referring to short shaft and long shaft short being 3/4" motor shaft and long being 1 3/8". I'm pretty sure my F90TLRD is a 20" shaft. Do the different shaft lengths also correspond to the short and long trim motor shaft lengths? I don't want to order one and find out its the wrong one and I also don't want to open up the tilt and trim unit just to measure the shaft length.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

FLCoyote

Comment

The 20" they refer to is the total lenth of the SHAFT from the lower unit to the power head.

If you have a "spacer" (approx 4-5") inbetween the lower unit and the mid section, its a LONG SHAFT. If not, its a short shaft.

That "spacer" takes up the space of the longer shaft.

IMO, I'd just pull the electric cover and motor off the main T&T unit and see what's wrong inside...
          If you just need brushes, why buy the entire unit?

I would definitly replace the o-ring seal.

If you look closely at my engine, just above the lower unit, you'll see a section inbetween the LU and the mid section. That's the spacer, IE a long shaft engine...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-27-2013, 06:34 AM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by FLCoyote View Post
            When researching aftermarket tilt and trim motors the specs keep referring to short shaft and long shaft short being 3/4" motor shaft and long being 1 3/8". I'm pretty sure my F90TLRD is a 20" shaft. Do the different shaft lengths also correspond to the short and long trim motor shaft lengths? I don't want to order one and find out its the wrong one and I also don't want to open up the tilt and trim unit just to measure the shaft length.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

FLCoyote
            Opening it up to measure or getting your hands on the Yamaha direct replacement and measuring that would be the best way.
            Might see if your local Yamaha shop has a replacement for yours in stock and ask to measure it.

But then you are depending on a parts guy to have the proper part for you motor and he does not make a mistake and grab the wrong one

Comment

Working...
            X