Not an outboard engine but it 's a Yamaha Marine Product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RetiredGuy View Post
    My friends say I am a bit weird since I vacuum my lawn, which is 3.5 acres, when there are pine needles on it
    Boy, you must have some REALLY long extension cords so your Hoover can reach the whole yard!
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Boscoe - I'm old but not that old just yet - however I do understand your comment
      My friends say I am a bit weird since I vacuum my lawn, which is 3.5 acres, when there are pine needles on it
      My current outlook on life "Everything has it's place and everything should be in it's place and in proper condition"
      I used to be that way. They referred to me as being anal retentive. I got over it.

I now follow the saying "Don't sweat the small sh1t. And remember that it is all small sh1t".

Comment

Gasoline powered Billy Goat lawn vac no need for extension cords

This time of year I get my projects both large and small sh*$ completed enabling play time from March >>> October
        boscoe - How did you get over it?
        Maybe someday in the future i will slow down and not sweat the small stuff but I just can't right now
        My fishing boat is hurting and needs some TLC: Cracks repaired, a down rigger upgrade, software upgrade for the helix and Aux battery upgrade to 200amp/hr LiFeMnPO battery
        I love my toys
        Retired and Loving Life

Comment

Gasoline powered Billy Goat lawn vac no need for extension cords
          I know, I figured you were using something like that. But that's not as funny as the picture I have in my head of a guy using a vacuum cleaner with a 300' electrical cord for his lawn.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a bit of outdoor vacuuming, becoming quite trendy.
            My daughter has a Honda powered PooVac to do her horses paddock. Holds 400litres of the stuff.

I thought that didn't quite look like fibreglass. The combination of hull vibration and flexing from the aluminium hull does not help. Never worked on ABS repair so I don't know if epoxy glue and then epoxy paint over would work. Fibreglass can be filled with various acrylic fillers also. Quite common here to restore old gel coat with shiny hard wearing paint. Vinyl wrapping , if I think what it is, is a newer solution to renewing surfaces.

Comment

I'd bet JB weld would work fine after "V"ing out the crack.

If going that that route, (as noted), re-enforcing the fiberglass in that are (inside I believe) is mandatory.

Of course you'd have to re-finish it AND it could very well crack again.

As noted, too much hull flexing combined with a poor console design and you may be in the same boat (no pun intended)...

I'm also pretty anal retentive (not quite as bad as you), but for a potential repeat of the issue, I'd either cover it with a wrap, or if it really bothers you, purchase a new "part" BUT beef up the area (more fiberglass) in the area of the new unit (if not already done-inside).

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-08-2018, 07:07 AM.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks of the suggestions

Did some research regarding ABS repairs turns out both Acetone and/or MEK seem to be what folks use - got plenty of those chemicals in the shop
                Now I have to find some ABS scrap pieces matching the console color
                Thinking about simply rubbing an ABS slurry into the cracks and possibly painting the surface - similar to what I did with an epoxy grout being scrapped into tile seams on my bathroom showers
                Still not sure what will clean up the excess ABS slurry will practice on some scrap before touching the boat

The fiberglass reinforcement on the inside of the console shows no signs of fatigue - none
                My guess it that the fiberglass flexes a bit while the ABS being thin and exposed to the elements self destructed
                Another closer look at the mounting of the console to the deck and windshield to console - looks like it was well though out
                A "U" AL channel bonded/glued to the console and bolts holding it to the deck windshield bit different but looks good
                Loosened several bolts to allow the console to "float" a small amount when the deck/hull flexes
                Thought earlier the cracks were located adjacent/near the mounting screws/bolts instead they are random

As stated earlier best guess is the flexing of the hull has caused the thin ABS surface to crack not sure how the ABS is bonded to the fiberglass
                Loosing the mounting bolts just a bit should help isolate the console from the deck somewhat
                Retired and Loving Life

Comment

Unless it's structurally a problem, honestly, just wrap it with vinyl and be done with it. Easy peasy and is a good solution.

If you're focused on fixing the cracks, look into "plastic welding" and "abs". When you're done with either your slurry or the welding, just sand it smooth. I don't think paint would be a good option as any new cracks that show up will show right through the paint. Vinyl wrap will be more forgiving.

Comment

I remember reading about your Bee in valve cover problem.
                    what a pain.

tightening those bolts up may have caused the cracks.
                    Did you ask the guys that made it anything about loose or tight bolts?

Comment

All those different materials! I wonder if it is caused by different expansion rates, seeing you say it is a thin ABS layer bonded to fibreglass and then a bonded aluminium channel. This coupled with extremely cold conditions ( I know you said it is in a heated barn). Although I have absolutely no experience boating in ice and snow, I can invisage if the boat is outside in freezing weather and then the sun comes out and heats that thin layer, that it would just crack!

Comment

Seems a bit odd that it is only the port side console has the cracks and none on the starboard side. What is the difference between the two sides?

The starboard side has more structure I would think...the dash to mount the steering wheel and gages would be a part of it.

If the console is cracking, it is under stress from something. My guess is that it is pulled out of shape by the mounting bolts. Have you removed the bolts completely and see if the holes line up with the console just laying on top of the deck?

Have you seen any other boats like yours that have the same problem?

Comment

that is why I like my poor eyesight. I simply overlook the petty stuff and mix another likker drink.
                          if it does not affect the performance I can over look petty things.
                          my OCD anal retentive boss blew 900 bucks of the shop money fixing a 4" scratch in a shop truck.
                          then told me the shop could not afford a 200 dollar program update on the laptop.
                          my 2015 F150 truck has a scratch about 10" just above the left rear tire. guess what?????
                          that scratch will be there when the truck gets traded in.

Comment

Working...
                          X