Yamaha 9.9 pull cord/rope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 9.9 pull cord/rope

The pull cord broke on my 9.9 2 stroke (1987). I was able to cut some off and re-attach using the same rope but now its a little too short. The rope Yamaha uses it that nice soft stuff and the center of it is like parachute cord...can just get this same type of rope at Lowes, home depot or tractor supply?

Most lawn mower shops will carry starter rope. (HD and Lowes should too).. It'll actually come with the pull handle and is made for this purpose (I wouldn't get anything else, ie clothsline, etc)

My 4 stroke, 10HP generator and some other machines (chipper /shredder with a huge cutting head, 30lbs?) are all pull start and will have considerably MORE pull on the rope than your 2 stroke..

Should work fine..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Broken pull rope

Just freyed mine so it would'nt wind back in, cut it off and went fishing anyway. Used the rope on the top pulley like an old style lawn mower. It was so easy might consider not going to the hassle of messing with tearing everything apart to fix it. Thoughts, Comments?

Comment

Originally posted by bssfiler View Post
        Just freyed mine so it would'nt wind back in, cut it off and went fishing anyway. Used the rope on the top pulley like an old style lawn mower. It was so easy might consider not going to the hassle of messing with tearing everything apart to fix it. Thoughts, Comments?
        IMO, I'd just fix it.

Besides being easier (you don't have to pull the cowl off everytime you start it), its a bit safer that the aux rope doesn't get hung up on the manual "cup"..

Pull the assembly off, spin the inside in the direction you pull it normally until its fairly taught. Pull the old rope out, feed the new line thru and tie it off. Release and it, it'll pull the new line back in as designed (make sure you have a handle tieed on the other end or you may get to do a "do-over".

I wouldn't unbolt the center spinning section, spring, etc, no reason to...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X