2002 90TLRA Yamaha Tilt leak repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 90TLRA Yamaha Tilt leak repair

I decided to buy the tool to remove the cylinder head from eBay, then resell it after I am done. Can I get someone who has been there done that list the parts I need to fix a slow leak that I am heaving - the fluid is coming out of the seal at the top of the cylinder around the shaft. I have to replace fluid about 2 or 3 times a year.

Originally posted by nowakezone View Post
    Can I get someone who has been there done that list the parts I need to fix a slow leak .
    The main thing to replace is the "seal" - but I would also replace the several o-rings that you will have access to.

I would not replace the "backup rings" - those are teflon, last forever, and so long as you don't manhandle them, can be re-used

btw - from a quick look at what appears to be the relevant Service Manual -

seems there is no detail for of the removal of the piston from the tilt shaft.

Of course, it has to come off to change the shaft seal and o-ring -

but removal and replacement needs to be done with some care - there are small parts which are easily lost.

You would benefit from some additional specific help in that regard.

Comment

As I re-call, someone posted (forgot to save it), about the bottom piston ( think it was the bottom, not the top mount), having to be removed from the shaft so you can R&R the cap seals.

I looked briefly and couldn't find it.

Someone will chime in as the cap does need to be separated from the shaft..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I believe it was Rodbolt,
        Maybe mentioned having a special fixture to grab the piston in a vice to not harm it when undoing it

Comment

There are special tools to hold the tilt piston or as noted it can be clamped in a vise. Or a big rod run through the eye to prevent it from turning while the nut is loosened or torqued to specification.

Last edited by boscoe99; 02-03-2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

another trick you ask?
            split a section of AL pipe and slip it between the top of the rod and the tool mounted on the cap and lower the motor down. this will allow you to break the cap loose without damaging the tool or the cap. prevents the tool from slipping out and destroying the cap.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBP8yfM6Vbc

Comment

http://marinetechtools.com/diy-train...ase-seals.html

Comment

http://marinetechtools.com/diy-train...ater-pump.html

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    another trick you ask?
                    split a section of AL pipe and slip it between the top of the rod and the tool mounted on the cap and lower the motor down. this will allow you to break the cap loose without damaging the tool or the cap. prevents the tool from slipping out and destroying the cap.
                    Rod I believe they are looking to remove the piston from the rod.
                    But as you said the cap has to come off before you get to the piston

apparently I was the one that missed what the OP wanted,
                    but the piston will need to be removed also to replace what all needs to be done, as Fairdeal already posted
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 02-03-2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I get several a year that someone seriously buggered up the holes in the cap. it is a pain to redrill a set of holes to remove the cap. on this unit how to remove the piston is self explanatory.

Comment

Welp. There you have it.

Comment

Some selves don't talk so well to their own self.

I used to lie to myself all of the time.

Comment

Where is it?
                            Dennis
                            Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

To remove the piston. Unscrew the torx screw and take of the washer. Make sure the piston points upwards because there are a lot of small parts (springs, balls) inside. Clamp the rod in wise like in boscoes post. Then put in 2 8mm drillbits opposite to each other in the holes where the springs and balls where and take something strong and long to put between the drillbits and unscrew the piston. It is right hand threaded. Look at picture how many parts is inside and don’t loose them bc they can’t be bought separately. 0560C44A-9138-4BDD-ABC3-B1C3D4CCDDF1.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                              X