Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two or a Four Yamaha.

Good evening,

I am new to the forum. At the higher hp end of Yamaha outboard motors which is the more efficient, economical, greater power, two or a four stroke ?

Thanks.
    reliability
    100.00%
    economical
    0.00%
    power
    0.00%
    repair costs
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

at or near the rated HP and RPM, they both burn about the same.
    at or near the rated HP you will find outboards tend to burn 1 gallon per hour per every 10 HP.
    my F150 burns 15.2 GPH at 5800 RPM.
    my buddy's two stroke 150 burns just a tad more at about 15.5 at 5400 RPM.
    I ran a pair of F350s the other day that had a combined rate of 69.8 GPH at 5700 RPM.

see the correlation?

Comment

There are too many variable to fully answer your questions. Here are some pros and cons of each motor type. From my view anyway.

- Four strokes are typically heavier and more costly to acquire.
      - Two strokes for the most part are no longer available from Yamaha USA.
      - Highly subjective, but most feel a four stroke is more pleasurable to operate. No oil to be added frequently, less smoke and generally quieter.
      - Greater demand if and when a four stroke needs to be sold.
      - Power is power. A two stroke at 5500 RPM producing 150 HP is the same as a four stroke at 5500 RPM producing 150 HP.
      - Perception is that a two stroke may have a better acceleration quality. I did not find this to be true in my transition from a two stroke to a four stroke. But then I am not a bass boater and don't jam my throttles to wide open whenever I go to get onto plane. It might depend highly on the application and the user.
      - Economy is based largely on usage. Look at performance bulletins and you will see the RPM's and boat speeds that are most efficient. Does not change much between a two stroke and a four stroke. At cruise RPM's the four stroke may have a slight advantage.
      - Almost any piston engine will consume in gallons approximately 10 percent of the rated HP at wide open throttle. So, a 150 HP will consume about 15 gallons an hour. A 350 HP will consume about 35 gallons an hour. Mr. Bolt noted this in his reply.

Comment

my F150 on a 21 seapro CC has a hard top with a second station, hydraulic jackplate, on board charger and lenco tabs and holds 65 gallon of gasoline.
        just me and a full tank, WOT at 5800 RPM gives a burn rate of about 15.5 GPH and a top speed of 43 MPH.
        back it down to about 3400 RPM and play with the trim and the jack I can burn about 6GPH at about 31 MPH.

flow meters take all the fun out of boating .

but over the years the 1 GPH for every 10 HP at its rated HP is mostly universal.

Comment

Working...
        X