No announcement yet.

Gear Play Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could it be that the bearing failed 1st and that put metal into gears which caused the gear damage
    Just a thought

Comment

#Rodbolt - we change the gear oil every 100hr as per service intervals, and take oil samples (the turn around on samples is Very slow). 69K leg has got 1040hr on it, the replacement leg 69J has 700hr on it.

Will pull apart the 69K leg to also rebuild as i feel from oil samples this gear box is heading for the same fate. in due course.

#99yam40 - the pinion bearing that 'shattered' (shouldn't of used that term) is still in the bearing case, wont come out, all the rest have. So this would of stop the function of this bearing. Although on pulling it apart found a lot of metal shaving build up above the bearing.

Comment

measuring backlash?

I no ware near putting this leg back together yet, but was wondering how do you to measure backlash without the proper tools?

any thoughts?

cheers

Comment

you really cant.
          at a minimum you need to have a Yamaha dealer with the pinion height shim tool shim the pinion gear.
          once that is done you will need a dial indicator, the indicator set tool, and a service manual.
          its time consuming but once the pinion is set correctly the fwd and rev gears can be set.
          I also use the gear marking paste from GM to verify my tooth contact pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by Barema Bullet View Post
            #99yam40 - the pinion bearing that 'shattered' (shouldn't of used that term) is still in the bearing case, wont come out, all the rest have. So this would of stop the function of this bearing. Although on pulling it apart found a lot of metal shaving build up above the bearing.
            Not familiar with the way it is set in the leg, but would this locked up bearing eat up the metal in the case where it was set into and ruin the case itself?

Comment

Thanks Rodbolt, that brings up the question, does the dealer ship here have the correct tools to do the job????

99yam40, it has done some ware on the drive shaft and casing but not anything deep as such (just little makings, if the crew kept on running, it would be a different story), compared to the other leg which head parts of the pinion gear teeth set in the casing.

cheers

Comment

Found a dial gauge and now i am able to sort out the shims and backlash on our F225 gear box. to spec.

Comment

not without the pinion shim fixture.

its possible to do it without it but you had better understand lash and tooth contact patterns.

Comment

Rodbolt, understood, i will be going through the manual, and also making use of the Yamaha dealer ship outboard mechanics to make sure we get this right.

Would you pull apart a leg if you had this oil report come back to you?

Viscosity Acceptable for Oil Grade Indicated. InfraRed Analysis appears acceptable. Medium Magnetic Particles were detected in this oil sample. Iron is HIGH for Hrs/Kms on the Oil, Chrome is Slightly High for Hrs/Kms on the Oil, Investigate and Evaluate Compartment Condition. Check Screens, Filter(s) & Magnetic Plugs for Debris (if fitted). Resample at HALF the Recommended Interval.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X