Warning buzzer...but why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning buzzer...but why?

Hi there. Can you help. I have a one year old Yamaha High Thrust 60hp four stroke motor. all fine till yesterday!
    After a ten mile trip at 3/4 throttle, pulling up at a dock the warning buzzer came on when I put the motor into neutral.
    In forward or reverse no alarm.
    In neutral, motor running, either at idle or revved a little, or off but with the ignition left, or turned on, the buzzer was sounding.
    No other warnings from the instruments.
    Oil level, ok.
    Cooling water, amount and temp, as usual.
    After about three hours, with the engine pretty cool again, just the same.
    Came home. Everything fine and normal.
    On the dock tried it again.....Into neutral and the buzzer came on again.
    This morning it's not doing it at all.
    Checked the buzzer which is working fine.

Any help would be gratefully received. This is our lifeline as we live in a remote place. Thanks.
    Paul

Water in the fuel filter cup is the only alarm that should normally sound when the motor is in neutral. It will go away when the motor is shifted into gear.

With the motor in neutral, uncouple the connector leading to the filter cup. Does the warning horn stop?

Either you have water in the filter cup or the sensor has failed.

Comment

@boscoe99

Hi boscoe99. Thanks for that! Sorry to be so long getting back to you but we have had signal problems all day.
      Your explanation makes absolute sense. I recently installed an integral gas tank which, by it's position, is way more vulnerable to water ingress. Also, the water separator/filter I had died and it's hard to find a replacement where I live. So I've been without one for a few months, just relying on the inboard one! oops! I will look again for one, but they last no time at all here, just above the equator. The problem resolved itself today, as I imagine it has "passed" the water by now.*
      Excellent response, in every way. Thank you very much. I will sleep tonight! Best wishes, Paul, Panamá

Comment

trust me, it wont "pass" water.
        water will destroy the fuel system but it wont "pass".
        find the issue and fix the problem or be prepared to dig a bit deeper in the old wallet.

you think a filter is hard to find in south/central America ?

try to find a high pressure pump or injectors.

there were also cases of defective water detect switchs.

look at the filter and see if the float is floating.

Comment

As bolt notes, an EFI motor is not going to "pass" water through it. You must do all that you can to prevent water from ever getting to the lift pumps, VST, etc. Otherwise some serious damage can ensue.

Check the cup. If no water is in it then well and good. More than likely you have a sensor that is failing. Perhaps intermittently.

A false alarm in neutral is merely a nuisance. If you have confirmed that you have no water in the fuel filter cup, and can't stand the alarm sounding if it does, then disconnect the sensor until a new cup and filter can be installed. Monitor the filter cup daily while the sensor is disconnected.

This website (Boats.net - New and Used Boats for Sale, Outboard Boat Motors, and Discount Outboard Boat Parts) can get you the needed parts. You should also consider installing a Racor water separating fuel filter in the boat. I like the kind with the clear plastic bowl that can be monitored for the presence of water. It has a drain valve so that any water you see in the bowl can be drained to make damn sure it never gets to the motor. That is an expensive motor. Filters are cheap insurance.

By the way, a one year old motor should be under warranty. The filter cup problem is a known issue within Yamaha. See your dealer if a new cup/new sensor is needed. You may get a new one even if the motor is out of warranty.

Good luck.

Comment

Sorted!

Thanks all. There was water in the filter. Everything performing exactly as it should! Cleaned it all. I'll get a new big filter/separator tomorrow! Thanks again for the help. Paul

Comment

what to do next?

On the subject of filters. The last one I had lasted about a year. It just oxidised away. It was the clear bowl type with a bleed screw underneath. It was situated in the cubby in front of the transom (20ft open panga). With the new integral tank in the thwart in front of the console i thought to put a new filter in the console. Would this make a big difference to the filters longevity. Should i cover it in grease! Can i get a stainless one? Much as i would like to support this site, as i have before, anything heavyish i get sent from the USA has to come via Miami, and Mailbox Etc. Or it just won't arrive. By the time i have paid MBE, import duty, and a couple of other charges the gov have dreamt up i will pay a lot. I have paid more than the value of goods sent, just is charges, before.
              I appreciate the dangers. Gas here is usually measured out fom an oil drum into a five gallon "pig tail" bucket and funneled into your jerrycan or other tank. Lots of opportunities for contamination!
              Thanks again.
              Can i also say that, having the owners and the workshop manuals, and being able to find no mention of this particular warning signal, either thete is none or it's unreasonably hard to find!
              Best wishes, Paul

Comment

The water in fuel warning system is hard to find. The owner's manual only makes mention of it with respect to a command link tachometer. And then not very well.

Yamaha makes a good product. Their documentation however is a joke. They should be ashamed of themselves, but apparently not.

A stainless steel filter assembly is available but as you note it might get costly when shipped to Panama.

Comment

Working...
                X