Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need nut for Yamaha ignition

Hey guys,
    I have a bay boat with a 2006 Yamaha F150 that has the ignition switch mounted on the boat's console. The switch goes through a hole in the console and has a nylon or plastic nut that secures the switch in place on the outside of the console. I have lost that nut and am having no luck finding a replacement. Looking at several on line parts dealers schematics I can't even find a switch that is held on with a nut on the outside of the console. The local Yamaha dealers say that the nut is not sold by itself and to get one I will have to buy a new ignition switch. That will cost between $150 and $200. I can't pay that kind of money for a $3 nut.

I lost the nut prior to my last trip and used zip ties to hold the switch in place until I could get a new nut. ie red neck engineering. I have attached a pic of the switch showing how it is mounted.

What I am asking is does anyone have a source for this nut or does anyone have an extra one they would be willing to sell?

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Charlie
    Attached Files

No Yamaha doesn't offer the nut by itself, if buy new switch then look at price of complete switch assemble verses a replacement switch, here is link 2006 and Later 2-stroke Rigging Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL SWITCH PANEL SINGLE Diagram and Parts
    Check with your local dealers to see if they have a used one for sell.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      No Yamaha doesn't offer the nut by itself, if buy new switch then look at price of complete switch assemble verses a replacement switch, here is link 2006 and Later 2-stroke Rigging Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL SWITCH PANEL SINGLE Diagram and Parts
      Check with your local dealers to see if they have a used one for sell.
      I appreciate your reply. It is a bitter pill to pay this much to just get the nut that I lost. Do you know of any online dealers that specialize in motors that they have purchased to sell for used parts?

Thanks again for your help.

Charlie

Comment

Ace Hardware carries a good selection of specialty/odd-ball nuts and screws....I've got to admit that your tie-wrap rig looks pretty good....might look even better if you cut off those extra"tails"...just to polish it up!....good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
          Ace Hardware carries a good selection of specialty/odd-ball nuts and screws....I've got to admit that your tie-wrap rig looks pretty good....might look even better if you cut off those extra"tails"...just to polish it up!....good luck!
          I will give Ace and all of the hardware stores I can locate.

Do you happen to know the exact size (looks like 3/4 inch to me) and what type of thread I should be looking for?

Thanks for your help.

Charlie

Comment

I am checking to see if I have one laying around somewhere. Stand by.

Comment

being Japanese I would being thinking metric

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                I am checking to see if I have one laying around somewhere. Stand by.
                Boscoe99,
                That would be great if you have one.

Thanks

Charlie

Comment

If he doesn't have one, I'd remove the switch and go down to the hardware store of the marina. I'd put money one of the mechainic's has one in his "junk" (extra parts) drawer...

Agreed, it should be metric.

You may also be able to find something on E-bay too... They've been using that switch for quite awhile...

That switch looks like it has an odd nut on it (see below). You may contact the below vendor, he may have something:

704 82570 10 00 Yamaha Outboard Single Key Switch Key 704 82570 08 00 | eBay
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-08-2014, 08:49 PM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

call Joes marine, 252 473 6267.
                    I have a few hanging about someplace.
                    shipping will cost more than the nut.

Comment

I figured you'd have one! Alot cheaper to ship than a new switch too!!

Just as a side note, I suspect the nut cracked. If you still have it and its one piece, until you get the new one, put a small hose clamp around the broke nut gently and twist it back onto the switch. Snug slightly more (don't screw up the threads..)

BTW, Not much on E-Bay...
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-17-2013, 07:50 AM. Reason: typo
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                        call Joes marine, 252 473 6267.
                        I have a few hanging about someplace.
                        shipping will cost more than the nut.
                        I have sent you a PM.

Thanks

Charlie

Comment

Why did you not call that # as he said to?
                          That is where Rod works

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                            Why did you not call that # as he said to?
                            That is where Rod works
                            I have not had the time to call during business hours.

Charlie

Comment

as you may have noticed, I rarely check PMs and even more rarely reply to them.
                              and NEVER do I discuss technical stuff on PM.

however there is a nut laying on the tool box.

Comment

Working...
                              X