Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailering support - what to buy?

1997 Yamaha C90 TLRV

I want to buy a rubber trim engine support for trailering my boat, but I'm not sure which type is appropriate for my C90. The vendors for these trim supports aren't exactly clear on which type works with the older 2 Stroke Yamaha 90.

My engine is a 3 ram trim system, so is the type that slips over the trim ram the right version for my engine? Or should I go with the rectangular universal type for a single ram? See attached photos

Thanks

I would go with the M-Y Wedge. Trimmed to fit the engine. if you are talking about a device to help hold the motor in a particular trim position.

A C90 uses a three ram system. One for tilt and two for trim. Just slip the device over one of the two trim pistons. Then lower the motor down.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 01-28-2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I use the M-Y Wedge brace but look and see if one of the trim rods has a zerk grease fitting up on the top of the trim bracket, if it does then you will need to put the wedge on the opposite side to not ruin the fitting.
      Dennis
      Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Would there by any problem crafting a piece of PVC pipe to do the same thing?

Comment

PVC "could" work, but cold weather can make PVC brittle, along with the continued vibration in a way it's not designed for.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Actually I am not worried about adding that piece. Thought it might save someone a few shekels.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
              Would there by any problem crafting a piece of PVC pipe to do the same thing?
              PVC would be just fine....

Comment

Get a piece thick as the M-Y and glue a good rubber top and bottom on it so nothing gets scrapped one that can compress and you should be good to go. The whole thing might be 6 or 7 inches long? Can't measure mine right now it's out at the boat.
                Dennis

Comment

2 X 4
                  why are more characters required

Comment

I always thought that a trailering support device was for reliving the stress on the boat transom am I missing something here

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefish View Post
                      I always thought that a trailering support device was for reliving the stress on the boat transom am I missing something here
                      Both, but figure how much "bouncing" does the motor does on the transom when underway in rough water?

I dare say, probably much more than on a trailer...

When running on the water, engine is supported by trim tabs. On the roadway, it's MUCH higher(engine tilted up).

"Spacers" pretty much just take the stress off the trim and also can't leak down...

Now, if you could rig something between the engine tilted and the transom, even better. Don't know how you'd do that, perhaps, using the transom
                      drain hole- slip something in there, then a support up to the engine...
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-30-2018, 07:00 PM.
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Both, but figure how much "bouncing" does the motor does on the transom when underway in rough water?

I dare say, probably much more than on a trailer...
                        I've often wondered that, too. But I also wonder... the way the boat "bounces" is different on the trailer vs on the water. On the trailer, it's a completely vertical bounce (for the most part), while on the water it's mostly a rocking type motion. There's also the thrust of the propeller to "help" keep the engine tight to the transom (not always, though). To better explain what I'm thinking... put your hand flat on your desk in front of you, fingers straight ahead. Now, lift your hand (keeping it perfectly horizontal) off the desk an inch and back down. Now, keep the heel of your hand (the transom) on the desk, but only lift your fingers (bow of the boat). The second one is typically how a powerboat behaves on the water (as opposed to a sailboat where it pivots in the middle of the boat).

There are braces that extend from the rear crossmember of the trailer to the gear housing of the tilted motor. I think one of them is called "transom saver".

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post

There are braces that extend from the rear crossmember of the trailer to the gear housing of the tilted motor. I think one of them is called "transom saver".
                          The justification in my mind for the M-Y brace is it undoes the motor from the trailer which may bounce differently than the boat and there by putting undo stress on the transom since the motor is tied to the transom and the trailer.

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post

The justification in my mind for the M-Y brace is it undoes the motor from the trailer which may bounce differently than the boat and there by putting undo stress on the transom since the motor is tied to the transom and the trailer.
                            The trailer and the boat should move in unison. If the boat is strapped down properly, well, that pretty much guarantees it. However, the engine is free to move as it wants to. The M-Y (or a 2x, whatever) is great because it keeps the engine at a lower angle and the hydraulics pull it down snug. So that does eliminate some bouncing, keeping the engine/mount as essentially "one piece". But if the goal is limit the amount of stress on the transom, then transferring the load of the engine down the trailer frame is what you want.

Truth be told, I don't think any of these devices completely eliminates all the stress. Ideally, we'd want the engine vertical when trailering, but that's not feasible unless for some reason the boat sits very high on a trailer. In the end, the extra precaution that any of these devices provides is a good idea.
                            Last edited by DennisG01; 01-29-2018, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I use a transom saver over the roller on the rear cross member.

Comment

Working...
                              X