Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20hp 4 stroke can't run wide open

Hey,
    I've got a 20hp 4-stroke I bought new in 2010.
    I'm sailing around the world right now and use the engine A LOT for diving and exploring around.
    The problem I'm having is that when I run at full speed, the engine gets starved for fuel. If I give a pump on the fuel line bulb, it keeps going...
    I checked the fuel tank and found some kind of a growth on the bottom (I'm in the tropics) so I cleaned that out, cleaned the fuel filter, took the carb off, blew out the jets and generally gave it a clean up.
    It's still having the same problem.
    Anyone out there know what's going on?
    Also, does anyone have a shop manual or know where I can get one for this engine? PDF possibly?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mark Aisbett
    SV Merkava
    Darwin, Australia

see if you can get your hands on a gauge to measure fuel pressure/vacuum.
    It should show if there is a restriction and if pump is working properly
    A piece of clear tubing installed on the output of pump will help see if there is air being sucked into the system

Comment

If you can keep the motor running normally by pumping the primer ball that is a sure sign of a fuel flow issue to the carburetor.

Maybe the fuel pump needs to be serviced or there is a restriction in the fuel supply from the tank to the pump, which the pump cannot overcome.

Run a hose from a different tank directly to the inlet of the fuel filter. See if the problem goes away. If so, it is something upstream from the fuel filter. Could be a hose, the primer ball, hose quick disconnect fittings or something within the tank itself. If the problem persists, I would then inspect the pump.

Of course you have already changed the fuel filter. And verified that it is not leaking. I hope.

Yamaha does not offer service manuals in pdf. Hardcopy only. The parts catalog is available online however.

Comment

air

I had the same problem with a 2006 25hp Yamaha 2 cyl. and it turned out to be air getting into the fuel line. The female connector on the fuel tank was loose. Tightened up the connector and problem solved

Comment

Working...
        X